Battle Of Pelion

Army of Carolina and The Republic make contact south and west of Columbia. Pelion, First Corp and half of Third Corp are three miles behind the First Division. Three Cavalry Troops are penned down.
The two lead elements and the Troop sent to recon the situation. A few terms to help understand the type of soldiers that will be in use. Mounted Infantry
Ride in wagons about two squads per wagon twenty-four men, two wagons make a platoon. Cavalry Troop is about one hundred forty men. Flying Artillery is mounted on horses for fast movement,
one battery is six twenty pound, Pitman three inch bore breech loader. Straight leg Infantry March or walk.

Jacob scanned the line with his field glasses, thinking it's not part of the defense proper for Columbia. Can't be too far out, outpost Regiment strength? Maybe larger, damn we don't need this.
Jacob, you wanted to see me? Willam, take a look.
Handing him the glasses. Looks like we've hit a little hard spot, I'd say some kind of outpost. Maybe we can end-run them.  Jacob nodded first think we need to get those Troops relieved. Bring up that flying Artillery Officer, see if we can't get those lines pounded some free those boys up.
I agree, maybe a little diversion east also. Willam you stay with me, Jenson, get that Artillery Officer up here, then tell Barton to swing towards Seivern then back to route at Woodford, we don't need this Army caught in a long drawn out fight. We'll join him at Woodford. Yesum Jacob bye your leave.

Willam, I'm thinking we end-run the right, flank them. Send some Infantry left pointing that small hill, as a diversion. Pound them with Artillery up the middle, free those boys to retreat. Well, I'll send A and B Troop, B Company Mounted Infantry for the end-run. A platoon of straight leg over on that hill. Will, do that now. Where is that Artillery Officer? Jacob, I'll take care of it myself, bye your leave. You see that damn Artillery man rush him damn it!

Willam kicked his horse come on horse! As he passed the flying Artillery, you best kick those animals! Get to the front! Yes, Sir! Move boys no time ta waste! General, Parson, Sir Captain Boyd reports! About damn time! Son, I need that middle hit with your guns. Can you do it? Not from here Sir! I'll need to get closer! Say that little flat, over yonder that gets me in range! Sir, ya do know, I'll be firing over our boy's heads! Yes! Captain do it, we can't wait much longer! Yes, Sir, bye your leave!

 Can you do it? Not from here Sir! I'll need to get closer! Say that little flat, over yonder that gets me in range! Sir, ya do know, I'll be firing over our boy's heads! Yes! Captain do it, we can't wait much longer! Yes, Sir, bye your leave!

                Cannon limber and caisson

Boyd's men went like the wind, cannons and caissons bounced across the hillsides and flats.
Fellers make ready for action! Turning and shoving the cannons, eyeballing them on target.
The battery is Ready Sir! Boyd sited down the cannon. Elevation, Two clicks! I make range one thousand yards! Explosive shot! Load fellers!
All guns loaded Sir! As a Battery Fire! Six booms just a tick apart. Almost a second later bangs down range! Range nine hundred fifty yards! Reload!
Battery ready! Fire!
Explosive shot peppered the lines. Bodies flew flesh arms legs scattered the line. Boyd shouted on target fire when ready!

Small hilltop, Straight leg Infantry Platoon.

The Lieutenant shouted fire! Keep firing till our boys get out of range! Breech kicking open paper cartridge shoved into it, firing. Men ramming shell down the barrel firing. Bangs smoke-filled the ears and noses of the men. Cannon fire pounded the middle. Dismounted Cavalry ran for there tethered horses. Firing as they ran. Troop E make for the small hill! Troop D the Artillery, Troop F head back the way ya came! Move fellers!

Jacob shouted yes, keep firing that Artillery move g move! Where's my end-run? Willam ran up I've got two Troops ready to charge the left, you want me to send them? Do it! Now Willam now! Willam shouted and pointed at them go!

                              End-run
                          Right Flank

The right formed a lazy type hook, just about two miles down line. To protect The Republics rear.
Troop B and half of Company B took the hook.
Troop A and the rest of B went for the middle.

Troop B entered the hook from the rear and its center. One hundred forty-four Cavalry storm in sixteen Mounted Infantry wagons follow. Horses and men dash up line firing and slashing sabers!
The Infantry jump out of wagons still moving. Running into the fight! Yelling as they fired stabbing with bayonets. Swinging rifles like clubs when empty, beating with pistols like hammers.

Blood splattering, horses trampling men, bangs from weapons fire booms from cannon fire.
Two massive human walls pushing pulling at each other. Tripping falling over the dead. One big killing spree! The hook fell in minutes. They kept moving toward the center. Troop A hit the center cannons still firing as they closed in! Boyd called a cease-fire as they charged in. The left breached the line just east of the small hill. The three elements met at the center. Jacob watched the center collapse silently. Shaking his head, Willam move the Division forward, I'll belong shortly. Jacob, I'll move them up. You doing ok? Go on Willam I'm fine. Jenson, where you at? Here Sir. Pour us a damn whisky! What a waste! Damn waste of men!
Both sides! I've no glasses, Sir here's the bottle.
Thanks, Jenson taking a long drink. Hell, let's move Jenson damn whisky won't help none, did taste good though. Sir as climbed on his horse, Fightin a War is rotten business. Hope when thisin is over,
we learn not ta do it.

Jacob leaned over grabbed the reins, Jenson we'll never learn any better. Let's go see how bad our losses are, get the hell out here. Before more comes at us. Yesum we best do that Sir. Jacob could smell the urine and bowels that had released, blood, spent powder. Willam any enemy survivors? Yes, Jacob have them over here next to the wagon, ten Sir. What are we going to do with them? I'm not sure yet. You got a count on the dead yet? Working on that Sir, our dead. We won't leave them? We'll burn or bury both. Willam let's get this moving, no time to dally. I'll check on those prisoners. Jenson, you are with me. Yesum Sir right behind ya.

Jacob nodded at the prisoners, Sargent we got an officer in those men? Sir, I'm Colonel Travis Sir, at your service. I can't tell Sir that one says he is.

Colonel, I'm General Parson, wish we could meet under better circumstances. Sir, I only chose not to fight, because it was a useless cause. Live to fight another day. Well don't think you'll be doing that for a while, best think on burying the dead or burning them. You and your men a be coming with us. Still, a might cold outside, General might want to burn the dead. Keep them from being food.

Sargent see if we've got coal oil, get them and some of our people to gather and burn the dead. We got to move! Yes, General bye your leave.

Ten prisoners close to a thousand dead Republic, ours damn, two hundred. Thirty wounded unable to fight, ten wounded still able to fight. Guess all and all a good day. Willam let's get out here, that smell bothers me. Yes, it does Jacob me too, bothers the hell out of me.

Thanks for reading, hope all of you enjoyed. Vote comment. Please continue reading. Hope the action
was well written and described.
Dram12.