"What happened? Is your mom okay? Did you get a call from the nurse?"

June bent her head. "No, it's nothing like that," she muttered. "It's just... Emilio being nasty again."

Next to her, Jordy sighed softly. "It's been a few weeks since he bothered you, right?"

She shrugged. "Usually he just hisses stupid things when he goes by," she muttered. "But Juan's usually around, so he's tries to do it... quietly and quickly."

"But he wasn't around this time?"

A tear itched down her cheek. "He got a motorcycle for his birthday."

"Riley told me yeah, sounded like quite the party. She and some others bought him some lessons too. Did he get his license?"

"I guess," she muttered. "Everyone was admiring his bike. And – and I got caught up watching, from a distance. And suddenly Emilio was standing next to me, asking – asking me stupid questions. He wanted to know if I was jealous that he would be riding that bike instead of... me." Her cheeks turned red again. "I tried to push him away, but he wouldn't let go and he started talking about... about this girl who Juan... did it with. And he kept going... he really seemed to enjoy telling me what was so great about her and what was wrong with me and..." Sniffing, she wiped her eyes.

"He's just an asshole. Nothing new there, right? For all we know he might have made it up – it's Emilio, remember?"

June stared at the steps below her. "I don't think he was lying."

Jordy sighed, putting a hand on her knee. "I know you probably don't want to hear this, but this is kinda your own fault, June. He was madly in love with you – he still is. He wanted you to be his girl, but you were the one who turned him down."

"Do you think I don't know that?" she muttered. "But that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt to find out he's sleeping with others."

"Then do something about it, June! Go to him, ask him out! He's made enough attempts, this time it's up to you! You've ignored him for more than a month, you hurt him a lot. And for what? Has Beth been nicer to you now? I know she hasn't! You made the wrong choice, June, and you're not happy. Just go for it. We're done with school for two months; go date him. Beth won't be around to police your life, she's going to stay with her family down south."

"He probably doesn't even want me anymore," June muttered. "He's seeing someone else, remember."

"Then win him back!"

Startled, June looked to the side. Jordy had never raised her voice towards her.

"I'm serious, June. You are in love with him and nothing is going to convince me that he has suddenly developed feelings for someone else; it's a distraction at most! Just do something, for once! Show him he's worth it, instead of always waiting until he takes the initiative! You messed it up this time, June, it's up to you to make things right!"

In silence, June stared forward. She knew that her friend was right but... "I'm scared."

"Yeah? Well get over it! You were the one who told me how lonely he was, that he had no one but Mateo and Emilio and those boys are both assholes! You told me that he needed you, well, if that's true: be the girlfriend he needs, June. Just woman up for once, gather your courage and ask him out! For crying out loud; you have a hundred percent guarantee that he is going to say yes! I don't understand what you're so afraid of, I really don't."

June bit her lip. "He probably doesn't even like me anymore after how I treated him."

Jordy sighed. "Yeah he does, June. I've seen how he looks at you, how he craves for even a little bit of your attention. His feelings for you are just as strong as they were on prom night. And yours are too. So please, do something 'cause it's driving me crazy! Your happiness is just waiting to be picked up and you keep stepping over it. Pick. It. Up. June. Go do something fun together, just give him a chance."