CHAPTER 30

Ray POV

I was sitting on the front porch swing when Harry pulled his truck up to my house. I smiled as he hopped out of the driver's seat and made his way towards me, a bouquet of lilies in his hand.

"For you," he said with a slow grin, offering me the colourful blooms. The petals tickled my nose as I took in their soft scent.

"More flowers?" I exclaimed. "Harry, they are beautiful! Let me put them in water."

I noticed a look of confusion sweep across Harry's features as I led him through the house and into the kitchen.

"With everything going on I almost forgot to thank you for the flowers you had delivered to the B&B. It was such a nice surprise, I really wasn't expecting it---thank you." Pulling out an antique crystal vase from the cabinet, I turned and gave him a grateful smile.

"I'm embarrassed to say this," Harry replied with a sheepish grin, "but I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"The forget-me-nots. Didn't you send them to me?"

Harry shook his head, "I'm afraid not."

My brows ceased with bewilderment. "That's strange. They came addressed to me with no name or signature. Your mom and I just assumed they were from you, as a thank you for watching Bell."

"Sorry, but I can't take credit for that. Maybe it was the Holmes Chapel welcoming committee?" Harry teased. "Small towns can be very hospitable." I was going to respond but found myself in his warm gaze. Harry had the most gorgeous eyes I had ever seen, so kind and charming. His dimples whenever he smiled at me, added more to his charm. All thoughts of the mysterious flowers were long forgotten as I studied the curves of his face and the attractive long-grown curly hair.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, interrupting my reverie.

"I am," I said slowly as my cheeks grew warm with anticipation. "Where are we going?"

Harry grinned. "It's a surprise," he said, reaching his hand towards mine. I stared at it for a moment before intertwining my fingers around his. The feel of his skin sent a wave of electricity through me and I felt my stomach flip flop. I couldn't help but notice how at ease Harry seemed. He had come home from what I assumed would be a stressful trip to Atlanta only to discover that his dog was very sick, and still he appeared to be in high spirits.

"Forgive me for not asking sooner, but how is Jessica's father?" I asked, softly.

"He's good. He's going to make a full recovery."

"That's wonderful news! I take it you had a good trip then?"

Harry looked thoughtful before answering me. "I really did. I hadn't realised it until I was there, but I needed to go back to Atlanta. I tied up some ends that had been loose for much too long." He looked off into the distance and smiled peacefully. I wasn't sure what had happened to him while he was away, but it was obvious something had changed. I wondered if it had something to do with Jessica. Perhaps going back to where they had lived together gave him the sense of closure he needed?

I know all too well how past can weigh you down. Maybe facing your nightmares instead of running from them is what a person needs to do before they can move on?

Of course, that applied to everyone but me. There was no way I could confront my demons. It was too dangerous, and there was so much at stake.

Harry gave me a small smile and I felt my heart soar. He was such a good and amazing person. I found myself trusting him more and more, everyday, even though several months ago trusting another man seemed impossible.