CHAPTER 25

Ray POV

I stretched my muscles as I lay in bed, letting the sheets fall away from me in the process. There were plenty of reasons why I was enjoying Holmes Chapel and one of them was the intense, humid heat. Turning towards the open window, I closed my eyes as the soft morning breeze made its way inside my room. Manchester's heat was humid too, only the temperature rarely spiked. In fact, one was lucky if it made it to the temperature of Holmes Chapel at all! I had always been fond of warmer weather, having spent my childhood vacations in the eastern coast of England.

I let my hand fall off the side of the bed and nearly jumped when I felt something furry nuzzle up against it. "Bell!" I laughed. I had forgotten this lovely dog was in my room.

Brushing my nose up to his, I said, "I slept so good last night, Bell. No nightmares. Maybe it's because I feel so safe with you around," I crooned, caressing his soft, pale coat. "Do you need to go outside?" Bell's ears perked up his interest, recognising the question.

"Alright," I chuckled, "I'm getting up." I slipped from under the covers and stood up, reaching for my robe. I put it on and walked out of the room, Bell following in close pursuit.

When we made our way into the kitchen, I turned on the coffee maker, and let Bell out the back door. "Harry promised you would stick around the yard, so don't wander off too far," I warned Bell before shutting the door. "As soon as my coffee is ready I'll join you."

Bell stood on the deck staring at me, before turning towards the stairs and walking into the yard. I watched him from the creek door, marvelling at his intelligence. Owning a dog of my own was definitely something on my bucket list, especially after having Bell as my house guest. I could not get over the feeling of security he provided, it had been a long time since I had felt this safe. It was nice having Harry the next door, too, but nothing could compare having a trained hunter dog, with excellent sense of hearing, sleeping next to your bed.

After watching him gallop around the yard for a few minutes, I turned towards the counter and shut off the coffee maker, pouring myself a cup. I smiled and inhaled deeply as the steam released a rich hazelnut scent. It was so nice to revel in the small things, things I hadn't been able to appreciate for a very long time. Three long years I had waited to savour a cup of coffee, and now that I was free to do as I pleased, it didn't take long to form a caffeine habit. But who didn't enjoy a cup of coffee or tea every morning?

Shaw, that's who.

I shook my head as I thought of my husband. Correction, former husband. Even though I hadn't been allowed to divorce him legally, I no longer considered myself chained to him anymore, not to that monster. That part of my life was over now, thank goodness. A new part was just beginning.

I took my mug and opened the back door, stepping out on to the wooden deck. It was still hard for me to believe that I lived there, on a beautiful piece of property surrounded by marshland. Harry had done an amazing job refurbishing the old house and the landscape was tastefully manicured. I loved spending time outdoors, wandering around the yard. I sat down on the cushioned outdoor couch and took in the view. The tall trees swaying in the wind, and nearly trimmed bushes that decorated the perimeter of the house were picture perfect. I almost had to pinch myself to believe it was true! And Harry had been the one who made it all happen. He had made living there comfortable enough for me, and without knowing, he had saved my life. I truly believed that. Not many people would have given me a beautiful house to live in and a job to work at without so much as one reference. But Harry and his mother had, and they had done so without any hesitation. I would be forever grateful for their trust in me.

I watched Bell in the yard, sniffing at something on the ground. He's probably picking up the scent of a wild animal, I mused. God only knew what creatures ventured into the yard when I wasn't watching. Just as long as crocodiles stay far away in the water where they belong!

I let my thoughts drift back to Harry. I had been thinking about him a lot, wondering how things were going in Atlanta. He hadn't called, and I didn't expect him to. He had enough on his plate right now without having to worry about calling me. Although, I had to admit, I was curious about what he was doing and if Jessica's father was doing well. It warmed my heart to see how much he still cared for his deceased fiancee's parents. He was so graceful.

Suddenly, my stomach began to tickle as I thought back to the kiss that we had shared the night he left. I hadn't been expecting the embrace, but those kinds of bombshells were always the best ones. There was a lot to be said about the element of surprise, and there was alot to be said about Harry Styles, too. I had been trying so hard to avoid thinking about our moment of passion, but it was nearly impossible not to. Infact, I had played it over and over in my mind, since he had left.

I wonder if he's thinking about it too? I wondered to myself. Probably not, he's too busy in Atlanta. I'm sure he doesn't have time to think about kissing me!

A smile played on my lips as I lost myself to the memory. I bit my lip, secretly pleased with what had transpired that evening. After leaving Manchester, I had sworn to myself I would never fall in love again, but how could any woman not fall in love with Harry? He was such a good person, hardworking and thoughtful. And gorgeous. Harry was the most handsome man I had ever laid eyes on. Everytime he spoke I would have to force myself to pay attention and not get lost in his eyes, his lips....

Oh my goodness, look at you! You are being ridiculous. What if you are reading too far into that kiss? I scoffed. Maybe it meant nothing to Harry, maybe he just got lost in the moment?

But I sensed that wasn't true. I had a feeling that Harry did like me, almost as much as I liked him. I had noticed how he watched me while I was working at the B&B, a stolen glance here, a secret smile there. I could feel his eyes on me, making my heart race with anticipation. Could he tell how I felt about him? The thought made my heart flutter! Sometimes instincts could be wrong, I scolded myself.

I glanced at the watch on my wrist and gasped. I hadn't realised it had gotten so late! I had to hurry if I needed to get to work on time.

Standing up from the couch, my eyes scanned the yard, searching for Bell.

"Bell, what are you doing?" I called out to him with a giggle. "You don't have time for a nap!"

I walked down the patio steps in my bare feet, heading toward where Bell lay, on the soft grass. "Come on boy, we need to get moving. I don't want to be late for work."

I frowned when I realised Bell didn't move at the sound of my voice; it was very unlike him to ignore a command.

"Bell?" I called out again quickening my pace. He was starting to worry me. What dog takes nap in the middle of the yard like that?

My heart lunged into my stomach when I reached the cute little dog. "Bell!" I screamed, kneeling down before him. I was no expert, I could clearly see that his breathing was shallow and labored.

"Oh my God," I breathed as fear made its way into my heart. I cradled his head on my lap and stared into his slack face. Bell's mouth dropped to the side and his eyes didn't focus on me when I spoke to him.

"What's wrong? Breathe Bell." I encouraged as I rubbed my hand down the length of his back.

I sat on the ground rocking him, not knowing what to do. What had happened to him? Should I call Ms Twist? Harry? I needed to get him to a vet quickly, but how? I have no freaking car!

"Ok Bell, I need to leave you for a minute but I won't be gone for long." I explained softly, as I rubbed his ears. I knew that dogs were able to sense fears and I didn't want to induce any anxiety that might make the situation worse. "I have to call Ms Twist," I soothed. "She'll come to get us and we can get you to the doctor. Everything's going to be okay, boy, don't you worry."

I gently laid Bell's head on the grass and stood up, preparing to sprint in the house and towards the phone. "I'll be right back," I promised, taking one more look at him. That's when I noticed the chewed up piece of meat, laying next to the faltering dog.

_____________________

A/N: Shaw, what did you do to the poor dog?

Hope you enjoy it!
Don't forget to vote if you did!