CHAPTER 29

Ray POV

"Ray," a gentle voice prodded. I felt someone nudge my shoulder and I opened my eyes, startled. Harry was leaning in close, staring at me.

"Harry!" I breathed, sitting up in my chair. "I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep. I'm so glad that you're back!" I exclaimed, leaning over and hugging him. Suddenly I pulled away, embarrassed by my actions.

"What are you still doing here?" He asked me, pleasantly surprised.

I looked out the windows and noticed that the sun was just starting to sink below the line of perfectly edged trees outside. I had spent the entire day at the vet's, waiting for any update I could get concerning Bell's condition. I had called Harry couple of times with new information, but hadn't spoken with him for a few hours.

"I didn't want to leave Bell. And... I was waiting for you," I added, my cheeks started to grow warm noticing Harry's gaze on me. I stretched in my chair, trying to distract myself from his intense gaze. I hadn't realised how tense I had been until I moved about. My muscles were aching, both from trying to move Bell earlier, and from sitting in the chair for so long.

"But you've been here all day! Have you even eaten?"

I nodded my head, "I had some peanuts earlier from the vending machine."

"Is that all you've had today?"

I shrugged, it hadn't even occurred to me that I hadn't had a proper meal. "I'm fine ----"

"Harry, you made it back," called a voice from across the room. Dr. Windsor made her way over to us with a smile on her face. "Your friend here has kept vigil throughout the day. She never left, not even for a moment," she said, place her hand on Harry's arm, reassuringly.

Harry gazed at me and I could feel myself blush again. How was it that he could create that exhilarating sensation in the pit of my stomach just with one look?

"Hi, Sophie," Harry answered, barely glancing at the veterinarian. "Yes, Ray has been a very good friend."

I turned away as Dr. Windsor let her hand linger on Harry for a moment longer. I got the distinct impression that the two of them knew each other outside of their service provider-client relationship.

"How's Bell doing?" Harry asked, returning his full attention to the doctor.

"He's doing much better now, but we've put him through the works. I'm not sure if your friend here has had a chance to fill you in yet, but it was ethylene glycol that we found in Bell's system."

"Yes, Ray had called earlier and told me the results of Bell's blood work," Harry said. He ran a hand through his curls, his face a mask of confusion. "I just don't understand how all of this happened."

"I'm not sure," the doctor admitted, shaking her head. "He is sleeping right now, but you're more than welcome to come back and see him."

Dr. Windsor escorted Harry and I into a back room where Bell lay in a cage, sleeping on an overstuffed dog bed.

"He looks comfortable," I said as I watched the rise and fall of Bell's chest.

"When can I take him home?" Harry asked.

"That's hard to say," the veterinarian responded. "I'd like to keep him for a few days to monitor his kidney function. It's just a waiting game at this point, but I feel very optimistic."

"Thank God " Harry enveloped the surprised doctor in a tight hug. "Thank you, Sophie, for all you've done for him."

"It's my pleasure, Harry." Dr. Windsor laughed in response and then gave me a triumphant smile before turning back to Harry. "Anything for an old highschool boyfriend."

I felt my cheeks warm and turned back towards the cage, pretending to watch Bell. So, Harry had known Sophie before? And apparently on an intimate basis. The attractive veterinarian just had to make mention of it infront of me.

"Are you ready, Ray?" Harry asked, interrupting my thoughts.

Startled, I turned towards him with a frown. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I said, there's nothing more we can do here tonight. Are you ready to leave?"

I hesitated for a moment. I didn't want to leave Bell. "It's ok, he'll be fine here." Harry reassured. How does he and his mother know what I'm thinking?

"Of course," I nodded my head and managed to smile.

"I'll be back tomorrow to check on you, mate," Harry said softly to a sleeping Bell. "Everything's going to be alright, you just need some rest, that's all."

Sophie walked us to the front door. "It was good to see you again, Harry." She smiled at him, her eyes drinking him in. "And you can call me anytime to check on Bell. You still have my number, right?" She asked him, glancing over at me.

"Yes I do. Thanks again, Sophie."

"It's no problem. And it was nice meeting you Roy."

I bit inside of my cheek, trying hard not to wince. How can someone not know the difference between the name of a male and a female? "It's Ray," I corrected with a soft voice.

"Yes," Sophie smiled. "Ofcourse, my apologies."

Harry and I walked into the cool night breeze as Sophie closed the door behind us.

"I'm starving," Harry announced, suddenly. "Let me take you to dinner."

The invitation caught me off guard. I was surprised Harry was in the mood to eat after everything that had just happened.

"Are you certain you're up for it?" I asked hesitantly. "It's been a long day for you."

"Absolutely. It will be my thanks to you and a celebration all rolled into one." A crooked smile worked it's way across his face. "Just say yes, Ray."

"I can understand the celebration--- I'm so relieved Bell is doing better, but you don't have to thank me. I didn't do a very good job of watching him..." My voice trailed off.

"Stop it," Harry said grabbing my shoulders firmly and turning me towards him. "I don't blame you, not one bit. We'll figure out what happened, and when we do we'll take care of it. But right now I don't want to think about that. I want to think about you. Before leaving, I had asked you on a date, yeah? Tonight it is!"

I swallowed hard and turned away. Why was it so uncomfortable for me to hear that Harry wanted to concentrate on me? And that it was our date?

"But I'm a mess," I said brushing my fingers through my short hair in an attempt to smooth out the tangles.

"I think you are beautiful," Harry wore an amused smile and studied me through his beautiful eyes. The look in his eyes caused my stomach to leap with anticipation. "But if you insist, I'll let you get freshened up first."

I looked up at Harry, my breath catching in my throat.

How could I say "no" to that?

_______________

A/N: Bell's doing great! Finally, Harry and Ray are going on their first official date! Wohoo....

Hope you enjoyed it!
Don't forget to vote.