RavenHills: Chap 1

Amelia's POV

My eyes fluttered open to see the bright full moon that filled the night sky. We had been driving for hours and sleeping in the passenger seat of a car isn't comfortable, believe me. I wiped the corner of my mouth and lifted my head off the window, pulling the hood of my sweater up over my head while adjusting myself in my seat.

"Get some sleep?" I let out a huff turning to look at mom.

"How long has it been?" She turned right onto the next road before answering.

"4 or 5 hours."

"Are we almost there?" I asked pushing my bangs away from my face.

"Almost." 

I looked out the front windshield as the car headlights lit up the RavenHills sign.

"We're about fifteen to twenty minutes away. You know that you could've gone with your dad."

"I know but he left three days before we did. I wanted to spend some more time with my friends and say goodbye to the town before, well before we never see it again." I sighed, "I just don't understand why dad just couldn't just get another job."

"We've told you multiple times by now that we would have been so far in debt before your father got a new job" she looked away from the road to give me the 'don't ask again' look.

"MOM LOOK OUT!" I yelled. She looked back and cursed, steering the wheel to make a hard right. We swerved around the dark figure barely missing it entirely, as the tires squealed across the asphalt.

"Oh my Lord, Amelia don't distract me like that again!" I was breathing heavily as I recalled the figure I saw.

"Mom, I think it was a person. We need to go back! We need to back right now!"

"Amelia, no one would be out this late."

"We-we have to see if he's alright." She sighed, stopped the car and did a three point turn.

"And what if it's not a person? What if it's just an animal?"

"Mom, we should still check to make sure we didn't hurt anything."

She stopped the car relatively in the same area where I saw the figure. I opened the car door. "Amelia!" my mother yelled but I ignored her slamming the car door shut. I took out my phone and turned on its flashlight.

"Hello?!" I called out into the trees. I heard the other car door shut and my mother's heels click against the pavement road. I pointed the flashlight down to see dark blood that stood out amongst the pavement. It seemed to lead to a trail into the woods. I started to follow it but my mother grabbed my arm, stopping me. "Amelia get back in the car. Now," I ripped my arm away from her grip and started to follow the trail, "AMELIA!"

I moved some branches out of the way as I walked, making the dried leaves crunch beneath my feet. The blood trail continued but then it suddenly stopped. I looked around moving some leaves out of the way looking for prints or more blood. Nothing.

"Amelia. Let's go." said my mother finally catching up to me.

"I lost the trail. It was hurt, whatever it was." She grabbed my arm and started pulling back in the direction of our car.

"Therefore, it's no longer our concern." She let go of my arm and walked back to the car. I turned around once again to see a flash of yellow. I shook my head and followed my mom to the car. I exhaled watching my breath rise in the cold air, before climbing back into the car. I pulled my seat belt across my chest and sank back into my seat. Guilt ate away at my stomach. It doesn't matter if it was a person or an animal, it was still my fault that we almost hit it.