Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Jake entered his father’s office building. Well, technically, their office. It was soon to be his anyway, whether he liked it or not. It was a high rise building that was strategically built in the heart of the city. The lobby was a bustling spacious place, with employees walking all over the place. Everyone knew Jake Dawson, of course.

Jake ignored all the stares the people in the lobby gave him. Didn’t they have better things to do? He dressed nicely today, for his father’s sake. He had called him and asked him to come to the building yesterday, well, not ask, more like order. Jake wore a grey suit, paired with a matching tie and everything. He hurried to the elevators and quickly hit the button of the level of his father’s office; the most posh level.

The elevator was crammed with employees but when it stopped at Jake’s level, only he came out of it. Not many people messed with the CEO of Dawson Co, in fact, they only went to see Robert Dawson if they had important reasons, very important reasons.

Robert Dawson’s office took up most of the space of the level. Outside of his office were his secretaries’ (yes, he has more than one secretary) cubicles and a little waiting room, equipped with a flat-screen TV, up-to-date magazines and a barista. Yes, Dawson Co was that classy.

Jake was a few minutes early but he didn’t even bother to wait. Both of the secretaries took one glance at Jake as he entered Robert’s office but didn’t stop him, like they would usually do to a normal client, Jake was Robert’s son after all.

Robert looked up from his work to see Jake entering his office. A slow smile appeared on his face as he stopped his work and leaned back into his leather chair. His office looked the same as the last time Jake came here. Grey carpet flooring, floor-to-ceiling UV tinted window…all the modern designs.

“Afternoon, Jake,” Robert smiled at his son. Jake held an unreadable expression on his face as he took a seat opposite him. It was amazing how similar he looked to his mother. Robert’s heart clenched at the thought but quickly pushed all thoughts of his ex-wife away.

“What is it?” Jake cut straight to the point. Robert couldn’t help but grin. He was glad his son was smart enough to go straight to the point, but greetings and small talk helped strengthen business relationships.

“I have something to tell you,” Robert started, sitting up straight, the smile gone from his face. He knew Jake wasn’t going to like this, “Do you remember Alex?”

“Alex?” He repeated before going deep in thought, then a person came to mind, “Alex Dawson?”

“Yes, your half-brother,” Robert clarified. Jake immediately tensed. He was his step-brother; the only son from Robert and his second wife’s marriage.

“What about him?” Jake asked, trying not to let any coldness seep into his tone, but failing.

“Well, his mother, Samantha-” Robert said, “Do you remember Samantha?”

“Yes, I remember Samantha,” Jake said slowly, unable to predict what his father was going to say.

“Well, Samantha…Samantha has liver cancer,” Robert said solemnly, unable to meet Jake’s gaze. This was unusual. Robert was a man of courage and power. But he had loved Samantha. He did. He was currently in his third marriage to some supermodel and they had a 5 year old daughter.

Jake’s face darkened, “How long…” He cleared his throat, “How long till she...” Robert understood what Jake meant.

“2 months,” Robert replied bluntly, his eyes starting to cloud, but he couldn’t break down in front of his son. His pride meant too much to him. Jake rarely ever saw his father like this; sad, vulnerable and…weak. “She wants me to take care of Alex. He’s 21 now, a year younger than you are.”