•thirty nine•

4 months later

After months of planning and preparing, the much awaited day had finally arrived. It was the day that Fawad and Mahira were to be officially united as one.

These past four months had gone by in a blur. The day that she and Fawad had returned from the stables, the affair that followed had been an emotional one,  for everyone was reunited at last and all misunderstandings were cleared. Mahira and Fawad were engaged the very next day and she left for home soon after, despite Naureen's persistent attempts to persuade her to stay.

How Mahira had spent that time, only she could know. Waiting for this day had been agonisingly torturous. And now as she looked at her beautiful reflection in the mirror, she could not help but heave a happy sigh at how things had turned out.

 And now as she looked at her beautiful reflection in the mirror, she could not help but heave a happy sigh at how things had turned out

Getting up from her dressing table chair, Mahira made her way over towards the window and peeked outside to the grounds below.

The Manzil was a flurry of motion, with maids and servants running about to make sure everything was in place. Craning her neck, she searched for a raven haired man but to no avail. It had been two days since she had last seen Fawad, and it took everything in her to control her need to feel his scent, his touch...

Mahira shook her head and a smile crept up her cheeks when she thought about the time when Zoe was in the same position that she was. It was only now that she fully understood her desperation.

A sudden knock on the door roused her from her daydream and expecting to see Zoe, she was surprised to find Shehryar in the doorway.

"Greetings," He fake curtsied and Mahira could not help but chuckle.

"Shehryar, what a surprise. You were the last person I was expecting to see here."

He held a hand to his heart, almost as if he were hurt by the statement.

"We're comrades. I would never abandon you."

Seeing the confused expression on Mahira's face, he elaborated, "How could I forget the favour you had done me when I was getting married. It's time I return that favour." His voice dropped to a whisper, "Would you like me to arrange a meeting with Fawad?"

"Oh, Shehryar." Mahira laid a hand on his arm, "That would truly be wonderful but..."

Mahira suddenly grew nervous at the thought of meeting Fawad. Would he like how she looked?

"But I think I'll wait till the ceremony. I want him to be surprised."

"And that he will be. You look ethreal, as always."