•seven•

It was after noon when Mahira, having changed into something more comfortable and bored of the incessant chatter in the living room, finally decided to explore the sprawling Manzil on her own.

Being an architecture major herself, she could not help but admire the building's exquisite construction and the various details that made it a true masterpiece. In all her years as an architect, the Manzil surely surpassed everything that she had ever seen.

The fact that this centuries old heritage was still so well preserved and that she was connected to it brought a smile on her face.

She had been so lost in thought that she didn't notice that she had passed two huge mahogany doors. Back tracing her steps, she put a hand on the wood,feeling the texture. They were unlike any other doors present in the Manzil. Surely, they housed something important.

She tried her luck and gave the door a little push. To her surprise, it opened a little, just enough for Mahira to slip through.

What she saw inside left her in complete awe.
A library.
And a grand one too.

She stood rigid for a moment, trying to grasp everything in-front of her. Rows and rows of bookshelves as far as the eye could see. They covered the wall from top to bottom, hiding it completely.

The library was dimly lit and yet it perfectly complimented the elegant interior.
A staircase led to an upper level but Mahira could not see much from her vantage point.

Forcing her legs to move, she breathed in the oaky aroma and sighed with pleasure. This was no less than a dream.

Feeling a tingle in her fingertips, she inched even closer and caressed the spines of the leather bound books that adorned the shelves.
Leo Tolstoy, Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Manto-

All classics and all from her favourite writers. Searching among the numerous titles, she finally found the one she was looking for.

Pride and Prejudice had always secured a special place in her heart. She sifted through the pages and found them to be worn. Whoever owned this copy had probably read it many times as she herself had-

"Trespassing is punishable by law, if you haven't heard."

Mahira jumped up in surprise, dropping the book that she was holding. She turned around to find Fawad leaning on one of the bookshelves, his onyx eyes watching her with a certain scrutiny.

Feeling flustered, Mahira bent down to retrieve the book from the floor but Fawad beat her to it.

"I don't think trespassing in one's  maternal home would be considered as an offence." She crosses her arms across her chest and sighed in annoyance.

"Hmm," He agreed and turned the book in his hands which fit the crook of his thumb perfectly as if it was made for him and him alone.

"I've read this copy so many times, I've lost count." Fawad said idly as if lost in thought.

Mahira gaped at the revelation. She could never, in her wildest dreams, have imagined that the man standing in front of her would take pleasure in the likes of something like Pride and Prejudice.

"You seem surprised," There was curiosity in his eyes.

"I can't bring myself to imagine someone like you taking pleasure in Pride and Prejudice."

He knotted his brows together as if struggling to grasp her response, "Why is that?"

Even though it was a genuine question, this attempt at making conversation was uncomfortable for Mahira.

She fidgeted in her spot, unsure of what to say. It was too early for her to make judgements and yet Mahira couldn't imagine someone as closed off as Fawad reading and re reading something as beautiful and romantic as Pride and Prejudice.

"I don't know," She shrugged, wanting to end the conversation, "It doesn't click."

An unpredictable emotion clouded his eyes but it passed as soon as it had come.

"Very well," He cleared his throat, bringing up his guard again, "I had been meaning to find you. Good thing you dropped by."

"Wha-..." Mahira began but was cut off.

"Come to the foyer at exactly 7 in the morning. I'll show you the stables." Fawad forced the words out.

"No, it's really not necessary. I'm sure the groom can give me a tour." She replied sweetly, throwing his words back at him.

Fawad suddenly looked terribly uncomfortable and Mahira could not help but be amused.

"I'll see you at 7."  He repeated  and before she could reply, Fawad turned around and headed towards the library's entrance, glancing back only once.

"  He repeated  and before she could reply, Fawad turned around and headed towards the library's entrance, glancing back only once

•A/N

A/N

Are you guys looking forward to the addition of new characters?
Drop in a vote and your views in the comment section!