•one•

A soft, cool breeze lightly hit Mahira's face as the black Volkswagen made its way through the countryside

A soft, cool breeze lightly hit Mahira's face as the black Volkswagen made its way through the countryside. With the air caressing her delicate features, she breathed a sigh of relief when she realised that the undergrowth had gotten denser- meaning that they were now closer to their destination. Mahira rubbed her sore legs, knowing that the non-stop 5 hour journey from Lahore bound to have its effects.

"We're almost there, dear." Ghazala said in a consoling manner, clearly aware of her daughter's discomfort.

"You've been saying that for the past hour, Ma." Mahira replied cheekily, not wanting to ruin her mother's cheerful spirit.

It had been over a decade since they had last visited Ghazala's dearest elder sister, Naureen.
With various responsibilities and a busy lifestyle anchoring them down, it had been most difficult for Ghazala to take out time for the one place that she cherished the most; Mumtaz manzil, her childhood home, which had although been inherited by Naureen, yet remained a pivotal point for everyone in the family. The Manzil, located near Lahore, was an old country mansion that had been extended over the centuries by Ghazala's ancestors.

And now, with the wedding of Naureen's daughter around the corner, Mumtaz Manzil was to be the hub of relatives from all around the country. Mahira wasn't sure whether she was to be excited or nervous; after all, it had been ages since she had last seen her estranged relatives and cousins alike.

Her train of thought was broken when her phone beeped.

"Shoot," She let out a frustrated sigh as she looked at the message from the Architecture firm she worked at.

"You're on a holiday, for God's sake," Ghazala snatched the phone away from her, "They don't let you be for one second. Look how weak you've become from working all the time."

"I know, Ma. They like to pester me." Mahira eased her phone away from her mother's hands and turned it off, "Happy now?"

"Yes, keep that thing off for the remainder of our stay."

Mahira smiled and felt a great burden slide from her shoulders. She should turn off her phone more often, she thought as she laid her head on her mother's shoulder and absorbed the picturesque landscape that surrounded her.