•seventeen•

It was after noon by the time the Rolls Royce rounded in the driveway. Zoe, who had been overlooking the placement of the spotlights outside, watched as Fawad and Mahira got out of the car.

Conversation and laughter flowed between them and as she looked closer, Zoe noticed a certain brightness on her brother's face, one that she had seldom seen in these past few years.

The workings of fate, Zoe thought and heaved a deep melancholic sigh before trudging over to greet them.

"My saviours return," Zoe spread out her arms theatrically.

"You can say that again," Fawad said as he sat down on a nearby bench, "This is the second time I've driven all the way to that run down office. Why don't you get your things done on time?"

Mahira bit back a laugh at Zoe's incredulous face.

"Brother dearest, I didn't ask you to summit Mount Everest," Her gaze turned icy, "And besides, I'm sure Mahira must've made the ride a lot more bearable."

The reproach and sudden hardness in Zoe's tone wiped the smile off of Mahira's face.

Did she not like that Mahira had accompanied her brother?

Glancing at Fawad, she saw that he too was taken aback by the comment but instead of confusion, there was understanding on his face.

Without a word, he rose from the bench and headed inside.

What in the world was going on here?

"Zoe, I-..." Mahira began but stopped when she saw her cousin shake her head, a flustering blush creeping up her cheeks.

"Mahira, you know how abrupt and reckless I am," Zoe rubbed her temples, "Please don't mind my words. They meant nothing."

Mahira eyed her cousin warily, not sure whether to prove her further about what she had meant.

"Really," Zoe grabbed her hands, "It's just the wedding jitters." A reassuring smile etched across her face.

Heaving a sigh, Mahira decided to let the matter go. Maybe she was thinking too much into it and it really had been unintentional.

In her own haze, she failed to notice that Zoe's smile did not quite reach her eyes.

The Mayun ceremony began early in the evening. It was an intimate affair with the most immediate family and friends attending.

Mahira had always liked small events and the festive atmosphere freed her from what had been worrying her a few hours before.

Now, sitting beside a radiant Zoe and surrounded by chatter, laughter and music on the upholstered stage, Mahira felt as light as air.

"I've been waiting in line since forever," A satirical voice sounded from behind her, and Mahira turned to find a grinning Zaroon standing on the steps.

"I'm sure it wasn't long," Zoe rolled her eyes playfully and motioned for him to come up.

"These aunties take wayy too much time," He sat down with a plop beside her, "Isn't the rasam supposed to be a small one?"