•twenty two•

Once the dance sequence was over, Mahira made her way over to the refreshments table to ease her parched throat.

"I wouldn't associate myself with someone like Zaroon if I were you," A husky voice sounded from behind her, "He's not who you think he is."

Mahira rolled her eyes and felt anger course through her veins. Turning around, she glared at Fawad.

"Well, at least he's not bipolar."

The statement caught him off guard, "I.-."

"Before you spew hatred on Zaroon again, I'd like you to know that he told me everything today," Mahira recalled what he had confided in her just before the Mehndi began, "Fine, he was a playboy who liked to fool around a lot but that was a year ago. A lot can change in 12 months. People can change."

"I didn't-.." Fawad began again but she cut him off.

"I guess it's time you move on," Grabbing her drink, she sidestepped him and headed back towards the main gathering, never glancing back.

Shaking her head, she tried to get rid of the anger that she was currently feeling. How could he just casually come up and suddenly acknowledge her when just a few hours ago, he had pretended as if she didn't exist.

She wasn't his toy or play thing and she certainly wasn't going to tolerate his mood swings.

He can keep his damn advice to himself, she huffed as she climbed up the stage and sat down beside Zaroon,her blood boiling even more at the fact that that raven haired douche had the audacity to tell her what was right and what wasn't.

"Well, that was one fiery convo," Zaroon joked

"I was actually standing up for you back there," She gulped down a large sip of her mint margarita, "You're welcome."

"I didn't ask you to," He tsked, "Look, you've put him in a bad mood again. First, you go on and dance with me and now you stand up for me," A chuckle escaped his lips, "Today must be a nightmare for him. He couldn't have known you'd be such a strong headed Zaroon advocate."

"To hell with his mood," Mahira hissed, "And don't flatter yourself. I'm not your advocate."

"Whatever you say," Zaroon grinned.

"You stole the show tonight, Mahira," Zoe called out from where she sat beside Shehryar.

"And maybe even some hearts," Naureen added, giving a suggestive wink.

"I'm not too sure about that," Mahira blushed.

"Trust me, I've had some young men come up to me and ask me who you were." Her Aunt added, more serious now.

"I'm positive those young men were my friends," Shehryar shook his head amusingly, "They've always had a knack for Mehndis, if you know what I mean."

"I'm hoping you aren't on the list of men who have a knack for Mehndis," Zoe turned around to face her to be husband.

"Guilty as charged," Shehryar joked and held his hands up in surrender causing Zoe to fake gasp.

"I guess I'll have to reconsider whether I'll be signing the nikkah papers tomorrow."

This was met with laughter from everyone who sat around the groom and bride. Mahira too felt her anger vanishing as she took part in the jests and banter.

The rest of the evening went by in a colourful flurry. By the time everyone had got up to retire to their rooms and call it a day, the clock struck 3 in the morning.