•twenty seven•

Mahira stood at the Manzil's entrance as the last of their suitcase was put into the trunk of their Volkswagen.

Her mother, having refused to say goodbye to her sister, had already sat in the car. But Mahira, for the life of her, could not bear to leave without bidding farewell. Embracing her solemn Aunt in a warm hug, Mahira quietly whispered,

"It's not your fault. Mama will come around eventually."

"I'm sorry, my dear. You should not have had to go through this." Naureen sniffed, wiping her eyes.

"Like I said, you shouldn't be the one apologising." Giving her Aunt's hand a gentle squeeze, Mahira headed towards the car, her own eyes becoming moist.

Just as she opened the Volkswagen's door, Mahira glanced one last time at the Manzil, the place which had given her both love and pain. She had hoped to see Fawad one last time in hopes of getting closure but he was nowhere to be seen since last night. A sudden ache spread through her heart as she realised that she might never see him again.

Mahira shook her head at the thought and composed herself. She would not ache for a man who did not deserve her. And yet, as she slid into the back seat, she could not stop the tears that rolled down her cheeks like a river.

 And yet, as she slid into the back seat, she could not stop the tears that rolled down her cheeks like a river

As the car drove away, Mahira thought she saw the silhouette of a figure  in one of the upper windows. Casting it aside as her imagination, she laid her head on her mother's shoulder and watched the Manzil get smaller and smaller in the distance.

A/N
Short chapter but the next one will be interesting, I promise.