•twenty one•

*Please read this chapter in the scrolling mode, which you'll find in the settings."

As promised, Shehryar left the room exactly 20 minutes later with a huge grin plastered across his face.

"You are now indebted to me." Mahira placed a hand on her hip.

"I never promised-," Shehryar began but was cut short when a sound of rustling footsteps came from the staircase.

"Shoot, someone's coming." Mahira whisper yelled, her face now ashen.

"What am I supposed to do?" Shehryar whispered back, looking troubled and like a deer caught in headlights.

"There's another staircase in the east wing that'll lead you to the lower levels."

"Go, run." She pushed him along the hallway until he disappeared around the corner just in time, for Naureen appeared at Zoe's door mere seconds later.

"Everything all right, dear?" Her Aunt asked, "It looks as if you've seen a ghost."

"Everything's fine." Mahira breathed out. She was in for some scolding if anyone found out what she had done.

"You must be tired running around all day. Why don't you go and rest for a while? We don't want that glow of yours to fade during the Mehndi function now, do we?" Naureen tsked.

"And risk losing potential suitors?" Mahira said in a sing song voice.

Naureen laughed and plucked her niece's cheek , "What a fine and witty young woman you have become."

"Yes, indeed. But the woman inside that room might lose her wits if we leave her there alone a moment longer." Ghazala reprimanded as she too appeared in front of her niece's room.

Zoe pulled open her door not a moment later and peeked at the three women standing outside, "And here I was thinking that everyone seemed to have forgotten the bride to be." She winked indistinctly at Mahira who grinned in return.

Before any of them could utter anything else, Zoe pulled them all inside.

"Mother, Aunt, Cousin, please aid this nervous bride."

And so, the next hour was spent with words of wisdom exchanged between women who had gone through the ordeal of marriage, one that was about to, and one that didn't see marriage in the cards anytime soon.

Mahira, having placed the last pin on Zoe's dupatta, heaved a sigh of relief.

"All done." She smiled at her cousin who looked beautifully festive in her yellow lehnga choli which was the theme for today's event.

Looking at her own reflection in the mirror, she realised she herself looked exquisite.

"Ready to go?"