•ten•

"Bloody hell

"Bloody hell." Fawad cursed under his breath as the first few drops of rain pounded on him with force.

Apollo and Aphrodite were now galloping through the woods, their constant wheezing an indication that they too were wary of the rain.

"It isn't too bad," Mahira shouted over the clattering noise and then with a sudden clarity, "Don't tell me you don't like the rain."

"Not exactly fond of it," Fawad shouted back, his voice reeking with despair.

Mahira could not help but chuckle at the situation. She stole a glance at Fawad and saw that he was drenched from head to toe. But even in his state of uneasiness, he still managed to look as handsome as ever, even more so. With him now a few metres ahead of her, she saw how his graceful figure synced so beautifully with the horse beneath him, almost as if he was born to be in the saddle.

She looked at her own clothes and saw that she too was soaked to the skin. Her disheveled hair billowed in the strong chilly wind, her rhythm matched that of the beast beneath her in harmony. Raindrops clattered on the ground melodiously, as if they too felt the magic of the moment. Mahira had never felt as liberated and epic as she did now.

The weather had turned for the worse now. The howling wind and rain had made it almost impossible to see ahead.  How the weather had changed so suddenly, Mahira did not know.

"I think it's best we take shelter. It's not safe to venture through the forest now." Fawad called out, but his voice drowned in the noise.

Seeing Mahira's confused expression, he signalled for her to follow him. Tilting her reins, she guided Aphrodite eastwards, just a few metres behind Apollo.

"Where are we going?" Mahira asked but was soon answered when she spotted a small cottage ahead.

They rounded the pavement surrounding the structure and headed towards two huge sheds that were located just behind the cottage.

"We'll have to stay here until the storm clears out." Fawad got off his horse in one swift move, patting Apollo on the neck as he did so.

"I've never witnessed a storm like this before."
Mahira too got off Aphrodite, tying her to the metal railing on one of the walls.

"The storms here tend to be more intense than this one. We're lucky the weather went easy on us this time." Fawad sighed while ruffling his silky hair.

"Let's head inside. It's getting chilly."

Making her way inside the cottage, Mahira could not help but notice the traditional architecture that the structure harboured. It seemed old but rawly pleasing at the same time.

"These used to be residencies of the tenants, when the land was used for farming

"These used to be residencies of the tenants, when the land was used for farming." Fawad told Mahira, seeing the curious expression on her face.

"But now we've reconstructed them into guest houses."

"It's lovely." Mahira breathed in the oaky aroma, a pleased sigh escaping her lips.

"I should probably inform my mother of the situation." Fawad picked up the receiver of the rackety old telephone placed on the coffee table.

Mahira nodded and finally acknowledged her shabby appearance, "I think I should go freshen up."

"First door to the right." Fawad called out from where he sat.

"Right, thanks."

The bathroom was small but more than adequately supplied. As she dried her hair with a towel, she could almost make out Fawad's voice from the living room.

"We're perfectly fine, mother. No, not even a scratch."

"We'll head out as soon as the weather calms down a bit, hopefully before Zoe's arrival." Fawad said reassuringly.

"Mothers will be mothers." Mahira amusingly said as she made her way towards the living room and saw him putting down the receiver.

For a moment, Fawad could not help but stare at the woman before her. Mahira's wet hair now lay untied, framing her heart shaped face and casting an ethereal glow on her features. The redness in her cheeks, her hazel brown eyes, and her full blossomy lips-

Fawad coughed, trying to maintain his composure earning a confused look from Mahira. He hurriedly made his way towards one of the windows and glanced outside.

"Looks like we'll be stuck here for a while," He handed her the soaked paper bag, "Why don't you lay these out on a plate while I set up the fire."

Mahira, very much aware of her rumbling stomach only nodded and headed towards the small kitchenette.

When she finally came out with two plates of chopped apples, she found the living room to be empty with the fire burning brightly.

Resisting her urge to let the warmth envelop her, Mahira headed back out towards the sheds.

She found Fawad pulling up an Irish knit sheet over Aphrodite. Setting the plates aside, she went to give him a hand.

"You should've stayed inside. It's cold out."

"Nothing I can't handle." She gave him a small smile and realised for the first time how genuinely she had smiled at him all day today.

It was almost an hour later that the thundering outside finally stopped and Fawad and Mahira emerged from the back door, muddy and drenched.

"The storm's stable now. Let's head out before mother sends out a search team."

Soon, they were on their way back to the Manzil. The rain had stopped now, apart from a few drizzling drops. Fawad remained quiet throughout the whole journey, his face harbouring a conflicted expression. He also hadn't said much while they groomed the horses. Mahira almost asked him what was wrong but stopped when she realised that he'd probably snub her for being too nosy.

Finally, the Manzil came into view and Mahira breathed a sigh of both gloom and relief, happy that they had made it out safely but also sad that their outing had come to an end. Unwilling as she was to accept it, Mahira had come to enjoy the company of the brooding man who cantered on his horse beside her.

A/N
What dy'a think, guys? Please leave a vote and share your thoughts in the comment section. ❤️