•thirty seven•

The black Volkswagen meandered through the suburbs and the countryside, and Mahira was once again brought back to the day they had travelled to the Manzil for the first time. It seemed like ages ago when in fact only a few months barricaded that day and today. Things had been so simple then, so different, as opposed to complicated mess that Mahira found herself in now.

Ghazala, who would usually nap during long car rides sat wide awake. Her anxiousness mirrored Mahira's own for neither of them knew what the outcome of today's journey would be. Subconsciously, she grabbed her mother's hand, seeking comfort.

The sun had just begun its descent when the majestic Manzil arose from beyond the hills. Having seen it so many times, Mahira could not help but once again gasp at its glory.

The weather here was a bit calmer than it had been back home. Rain drizzled down in uneven patterns and scanty black clouds littered the sky.

The car had barely come to a stop at the entrance when Mahira dashed out of it. But instead of heading inside, she ran for the grounds.

"Mahira, where are you going?" Her mother yelled from the back seat.

Mahira stopped and turned around, "I know where to find him."

"But how do you know he's not at the Manzil?"

She didn't know how to answer that question. All she knew was that her heart told her so and over the years, she had learned to trust her instincts, "I just know," She smiled and hurried off towards the grounds.

The ground beneath her squelched as she ran, causing her to slip two times in a row. By the time she reached the stables, her pants were drenched in mud and her hair stubbornly stuck to her face.Ignoring them, she scanned the stable racks and smiled triumphantly when she noticed that Apollo was no where to be seen.

She had barely taken a step forward when the groom emerged from the supply closet. He was a naive youth of 15, and Mahira had made a good acquaintance of him the last time she was here.

"Junaid, how are you faring?" She inquired, her breath coming out in short puffs.

"Baji, what a wonderful surprise." His cheeks lit up in a bright smile, "I am doing well."

"Hmm, that is good to hear," She ruffled his hair, "Where is your master?"

"He went out with Apollo thirty minutes ago."

Just as I thought.

"You must saddle up Aphrodite for I need to see him immediately."

"But Baji...-."

"It's a very important matter, Junaid. I can't waste a single minute."

Being very easy to persuade due to his naivety, Junaid nodded and hurried off towards Aphrodite's stable. While he saddled her up, Mahira sifted through the supply closet for boots, and finding the right size, put them on.

"Baji, I still don't think this is a good idea. Why not wait for Master Fawad?" The young boy voiced his concern as he brought the black beauty to the entrance. Patting Aphrodite on the neck, Mahira gracefully climbed atop her.

"God knows when he'll be back." Mahira replied, her insides turning into jelly with anticipation, "Don't worry, Junaid. Now tell me, what exactly did Fawad say when he was leaving?"

The fair haired boy thought for a moment, "He didn't say where he was going but he seemed rather flustered. He usually goes to the guest houses when he's in a bad mood."

The guest house.

Thanking him, Mahira grabbed the reins and gently clicking her tounge, propelled Aphrodite into a trot towards the forest.