Chapter Twenty Five

"Ready? One, two, three!" Once the 'three' escapes my lips, Yoongi starts. It's a light tap of his keys as he does, and I can tell that he's trying to be more mindful instead of simply in his head.

I'm proud of him for being so, it's hard to find the line. Especially when asked to play with emotion.

The notes are exactly as meant to be played, and for now that's exactly what we need. I wait until it's my time to join in, my notes exactly as needed too. At least as exact as I can make them. But I'm in an incredible mood and can't help but let some of the notes become more airy than they're meant to.

It's calm for a moment before I glance to Yoongi, my eyes trained on his back as he rigidly plays. And then he starts off, tempo increasing. There isn't much behind it, it's simply what the score says. 

After his mini solo, I start off too, still letting my notes ring how happy I am. They only grow happier when I realise that Yoongi and I have reached a new part we aren't strictly familiar with. Yeah, maybe we hadn't made it far in our playing but it was slow progress. 

And any progress was something I was thankful for.

Yoongi starts up on his bit again, my notes quieting to allow his to become louder. I look back to the score in front of me, actually needing to see them to fill in some blank spaces that still invade my mind. 

We keep playing without much trouble, maybe just a bit of wrong note but nothing extremely major. It might just be the smoothest round we've had yet.

It moves to my part again and, deciding to be a bit bold, I play around with the notes a bit. Making some higher in pitch or lower, stretching some out while I shorten others. It isn't until I suddenly hear the smashing of piano keys that I break focus.

I jump, turning to the boy by the piano. "Yoongi? Are you okay?" I ask, rushing over to make sure that he wasn't near breakdown or something of the sorts.

It had been three days since the day he admitted why he couldn't really play with emotion. One day had been devoted to simply resting, the two of us watching movies all day. The other two were filled with practice, mostly being me trying to teach Yoongi. It was hard but he seemed to be having a much easier time.

So this random burst was concerning.

"Stop doing that!" Yoongi snapped suddenly, turning to me tense jaw and glare in his eyes. 

I take a step back at the loud sound before clearing my throat, "Doing what?"

"Going all crazy with the piece! You know I don't know the parts yet but you're still trying to stray from the score!" Yoongi's voice boomed deeply. It was gravelly, his words basically being growled out by him.

Gulping, I open my mouth to apologize, "Yoongs, I'm s-"

"And stop with that god forsaken nickname, I never told you that you could call me that. Stop so desperate for a fucking friend." Yoongi stood, the bench scraping against the floor, before marching out.

I stand there for a moment, watching where Yoongi just was. I had been fine during the first snap. I understood it, I probably went too far with the notes. But, I was going to apologize, explain that because his playing became so quiet at the interval I didn't really think about it.

I don't care about the first words.

When tears start to fill my eyes, I know they're from the last ones that were barely yelled but instead spat out to me.

And stop with that god forsaken nickname!

Stop so desperate for a fucking friend.

I wipe my eyes harshly, sitting on the bench that Yoongi was just in. 

"I can't believe I tried to know you for the past four years. You're so useless! For god's sake, stop crying, it's annoying." She rolled her eyes when I didn't. "Fine, call me if you want to play again. I know you're desperate for anyone, I don't doubt you'll come crawling back in a few days."

I have to wipe at my eyes again, though I'm unsuccessful when I see a few drip onto the piano keys. 

Stop crying, you idiot, I chide myself, trying to make it sound like it's a joke but it's not very successful.

I hear a door open but I don't look up, instead I try to collect myself before whoever is here can fully see the state I'm in. 

"YN." A soft voice whispers, the person slowly sitting next to me and wrapping an arm around me. I know who it is simply by their deep, slightly gruff voice. By the way I feel his petite frame next to me. I couldn't mistake him for anyone, not even if I wanted to. "I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't mean those things I said."

Slowly, I look up, moving to wipe the tears again but Yoongi's free hand stops me from doing so. Gently, he sets my hand down before reaching to wipe them himself. His touch is the exact opposite of mine, working as if I'll break at any moment while mine worked as if I wanted myself to break. 

He's quiet for a moment before gulping, "I really didn't mean them. Not about your playing, or about the friend thing, or, uhm, or about the nickname." Another moment of silence and he sighs. "I actually really like that nickname. . . No one else calls me that. And it sounds really sweet whenever it comes from you."

More silence ensues and I shake my head, "Min Yoongi, you're an idiot but I can't hate you for some reason." I chuckle halfheartedly, "I'm not mad about what you said. You're- You're just frustrated. Albeit, not a big fan of the outburst, brought some not so great feelings, but it'd just hurt the both of us if I were to try and make a grudge out of this."

Yoongi sighs, "I really am sorry. I don't usually snap like that unless I'm really stressed, and it's a bad habit I know. But I just say stupid things when I'm not thinking."

I lightly shrug my shoulders to bounce his arm that's upon them, "Well, I forgive you."

There's a moment of awkward silence and I clear my throat, "Look at us, being adults and resolving problems quickly," I lightly joke. "At least we're not like those character in books who immediately storm off and are too stubborn to do anything. I hate those characters." When I get no response, I look back up to him, ready to joke that this is where he answers or laughs but instead I just meet his gaze.

He's simply staring, lips parted with a soft blush. Probably from the whole rush of emotions in the past fifteen moments or so. His brows are drawn close and he looks almost confused. "H- How do you do that?"

"My joke? Cause I mean- It's pretty easy. Ya know, a way to ease the tension which is-"

"No, no. Well, yes, but how are you so amazing and kind and-" He cut himself off with a shake of his head. "I'm terrible with words but how are you so, I guess, you?" 

I feel a blush working on my cheeks. "Yoongi, you're one to talk. I mean- have you seen yourself?"

Yoongi leans forward, "No, we're exact opposites. We went through similar things but you turned out so different. So gentle and happy. . ." Yoongi simply looks over me, eyes flicking over every feature of my face. 

The heat in my cheeks only heightens when his eyes travel to my lips, fighting the urge to either push him away or stay closer. Instead, I sit frozen still in my place. And when his eyes travel back to mine, he seems to realize what he's doing.

"S- Sorry, I don't know what came over me. I just- I'm thankful to have met you." He whispered before pulling back.

And before I can think to stop, I reach out, grabbing his jacket and pulling him back. I hear Yoongi yelp, about to ask what I'm doing but before I can, I press my lips against his.

End of Chapter Twenty Five