Chapter Six

Waiting for something tends to be harder when it holds the basis of your whole future in the simple words of 'You were accepted' . Especially with someone in my situation. 

In those two days, I busied myself with more practice. Mostly to become acquainted with my new friend. This counted from making my own songs, to playing around with melodies from games or already made music, to actually trying to learn some pieces that could be used if I made it.  

The space that wasn't being used for that was filled with basic human necessities and yelling. Lots and lots of yelling.

But it was all worth it when I heard the ringtone of the number I had saved, the sound of Vivaldi's summer calling out to me in a way it hadn't before. So startled to hear it, I almost dropped my violin. 

Who I apologized quickly to only to rush over and grab my phone.

Answer, answer, answer!

I basically screech in my mind though aloud I manage a polite, "Hello?"

"Is this Kim (Y/N)?" I hear a girl voice say though it isn't the young one of Marsha. Instead it's deeper, more smooth on the tongue as she pronounces each word quickly. And there's age behind it, as if the one speaking is ready to pass down the wisdom she has earned too harshly in this world.

I like it.

"Uhm, yes it is." 

"We have news regarding the competition that you entered in as a violinist. Is that right?"

"Yes." 

Come oonnnnn! Get to the point already!

I can hear my heart in my ears, the sound almost swallowing everything. But it can't swallow hers, no that's impossible when I've worked so hard to be where I am.

"We have the results. And I am very pleased to tell you that you can proceed to the next level of the competition, which is the district. I would like to invite you to Cadence Hall tomorrow, where you and your partner will be filled in with the details. This meeting will start at three sharp if that is okay with you."

Holy heck it freaking is!

"Of course," I tell her carefully, part of my mind focused on making sure my voice doesn't waver. The other is screaming and being useless at this point.

"Well that works perfectly. Thank you. I will see you tomorrow." 

And with that she hangs up.

I stand there before letting out a small giggle, all my excitement and happiness ready to burst from my body. And it does when I let out a squeal only for it to then excel to a scream of triumph, my legs moving on their own as they jump onto my bed. 

I hear someone yelling at me to quiet down but when I don't it's followed by the stairs creaking. The door opens, showing my mom who is sternly looking at me. But before she can scold me I quickly yell at her, "I made it!"

For a second a flash of surprise crosses her expression, eyebrows raising, lips parting, and eyes dilating. She simply stands there only for her to call my father who runs up. He has a similar reaction though it's quickly followed by a grin and eyes that light up the whole room it seems. He runs forward and scoops me up, giving me an embrace of happiness that I feel I haven't had in years.

My mom does nothing, simply watching. 

"I did it! I finally did it! I'm going to compete against the district! And I know I can make it past there! I just have to really work." Determination and confidence drips from my voice, maybe too much for it to be anywhere near modest, but I'm too happy to care. Because I finally did it.