Prologue

Comment‼️

"You've got to be kidding me!" I yelled, full of anger.

I skimmed through the multiple emails and papers on my desk, majority of my employees are quitting, and none are even giving me reasons why.

"Rachel, you're one of my best worker—"

Click.

She hung up before I could finish explaining.

"Hey, Marc, mind telling me why—"

Click.

What's up with everyone hanging up on me too? Did I do something to make them angry with me?

Just last week we were all laughing it up in the lounge area, planning a surprise party for one of my many workers, who had just quit as well.

I begin typing my replies to all of the resignation emails, and sat and waited on their responses for minutes, and had yet to receive any.

I pushed all of the papers from my desk onto the floor in frustration.

How am I going to get all of this work in all of these departments done? I now only have, besides me, 7 workers left in total. I bet they're going to magically quit as well.

I bet you're confused— I forgot to mention that I'm the CEO of an accounting firm. I didn't put loads of years in in college to become the CEO either, I was grandfathered in. Meaning, I was given the position after my father, who is the original owner, stepped down. He retired and wanted me to fall right into his footsteps, and me being who I am I didn't mind since I had no clue what to do with my life.

I've been here for years now, going on 5 years. I'm 26 years old and started here when I was 21. I loved it, and I still do. I just don't know where to go from here since everyone has abruptly quit on me and I have no clue why.

I won't bring this to my fathers attention, he's very stern and he'll take this company from me and my salary will be the amount that a fast food worker makes, no offense to those who do work in fast food.

Over the course of the years I've been able to maintain the entire company. All of the employees love me, the current ones and the now former ones. I make everyone feel welcomed and at times it doesn't even seem like a place of business.

I allow everyone to move at their own pace and I even give a little leniency but they also take me serious.

"Misses Houghton, what would you like me to do with these files?" One of the employees said

I sighed, "You can just place them on the end table right there." I said and sat back in my chair

She did as told and turned to walk away, "Hey, do you have any idea why everyone has up and left?" I asked

She turned back around slowly, "No clue." She shrugged

"But just know I'm here to stay." She assured me

I nodded and allowed her to go on her way, I know she knows though.

I didn't get out of the office until 12 AM, and still dragged along stacks of office work to do at home.

I tried to focus on the work that needed to be done but my mind kept wandering back to Lance. Lance is my boyfriend— well ex boyfriend. We broke up two weeks ago, we had this huge argument and then broke it off. I said things I shouldn't have said, and he did too, I guess we went too far because he had moved out and hasn't called me since.

Lance and I met in a coffee shop, such a cliche, but we did. He actually made me drop my coffee, and it got all over my work outfit. He bought me another coffee and instead of allowing me to travel all the way back home, which is a nice 30 minutes away, we went next door to Sak's and he bought me an entire new outfit.