C H 2 4

I take my head off the window as I wake up. It is daytime and the car is surrounded by trees. I see Allison glance in my direction as I pick my head up.

"Hey, Jenkin's grandmother's house is right ahead." I nod my head lightly and rub my eyes. I'm thankful I got to sleep. Lord knows I need it.

"Thanks." I tell her, looking out of the dashboard. We were finally pulling up to the house. It looked like it was mostly made out of wood and seemed quite nice.

"There's no cars," I state the obvious to Allison as she stops the car. "No one may be here."

"Yeah," she says as we get out the car. "Be careful, though. Who knows?"

I hum in agreement as we pass up the Jenkin's mailbox and walk up the road to the house. Animals can be heard from all around us, and that gives me a sense of comfort in this predicament.

Once we get close to the house, Allison gestures to walk underneath it, where there are logs stacked. We walked through it, looking for a sign of anyone being here. Allison goes slightly ahead of me and turns a corner. I shake my head, we have to stick together.

I follow her up the incline that leads to some windows. Both she and I are crouching in case someone shows up. Allison looks inside the window we've just walked up to, as I keep watch.

"See anything?" I mutter to her. Allison moves her head around as she looks inside the house. She turns around to face me, and a bird flies away in fear, making her jump. I chuckle slightly.

"I saw Vanya's violin case." Allison says to me as we walk back to the car. So Vanya has been here.

"So they went somewhere. They'll have to come back eventually." I tell her as we trudge through the grass. Man these people need to mow their lawn.

"We don't have time for eventually. Vanya could be in trouble. We should drive around and look for where she could be." It's an okay idea, but what are our chances of finding Vanya out in the town, with the creep, Peabody. 

I sigh as we get back in the car, and Allison starts the engine. She quickly pulls the car out and we are back on the road.

"So where do you want to go?" I ask her. I guess she's in charge. As much as I think waiting for them here would be better, Allison is stubborn.

"We'll drive around and look for her or hints of where she could be."

"Okay."

After about 20 minutes of driving around, we end up in traffic. Why the fuck is there traffic in a small town? Our car moves slowly and comes to a stop.

By a bar, police cars are parked and yellow tape decorates the parking lot. On the sign for the bar a scarf hangs, slightly blowing in the wind. So this is the cause of the traffic. I can't help but feel that Vanya and creep may have had something to do with this.

I hear Allison lean forward, most likely looking at the crime scene as well. She then unbuckles her seat belt and opens her door. Guess we are getting out then.

"What do you see, Allison?" I ask her, as she puts on sunglasses and walks around the car. She says nothing until we reach the sign for the restaurant. Allison then pulls down the scarf that had been hanging from the light.

"This is Vanya's." She shows me the scarf.

"So she was here, and the creep was most likely with her as well."

"Exactly."

Both she and I turn and walk towards the crime scene. I stop when we reach the yellow tape, but Allison keeps going.