C H 1 9

I wring my hands nervously as I think what could of happened to Five. I still sit in between Diego and Klaus, in the car heading towards the Academy. All of the shit went sideways. I could only have faith that Five would be relatively okay and would return. 

"You okay, kid?" Diego looks down at me, raising an eyebrow in question. I quickly still my hands.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you okay? I mean you were in a truck with Klaus driving." I tell him.

"Hey!" Klaus says, acting offended and placing a hand on his chest.

"You've said it yourself bro. You can't drive." 

"If you knew he couldn't drive, then why did you let him?" I ask Diego, tilting my head. He chuckles.

"Thought it would be funny."

"Oh, it was," I tell him as I think of what Klaus and Diego had done with the ice cream truck. "Shame you guys didn't do more damage to the danger duo, though."

"I know," Diego says. Klaus had been mostly silent throughout the talk, I'm worried about him.

"You okay? You know I still stand by what I offered, Klaus." I mutter softly to Klaus, referencing how I told him he could talk to me if he wanted. I know Diego heard what I said, as he watches Klaus and I talk.

"I'm doin' swell. And I know you do, but I don't think I'm going to cash that in quite yet. Thanks, though." Klaus looks down at me, eyes still holding a lot of emotions that I couldn't comprehend. He turns his head to look back outside through the window.

"Okay," I say to him. I wish I could be more help to him. I wish I could do something so he wouldn't be this down. I can only hope he can come to me.

"So, kid, how did you get to be around our Dad?" Diego questions, obviously wanting to figure out who I am. I clench my jaw slightly, trying to think of the right words to tell Diego. I realise my jaw.

"My mom dropped me off at his doorstep when I was three. Don't know why either." 

"Shit kid." I don't think Diego expected me to tell him or be so blunt about it. I keep my hands on my lap, trying not to mess with them. I really don't want to think about my mom or Reginald, but I guess I have to. I know Luther and Klaus were both listening in on Diego and I's conversation.

"So you were stuck with the old bastard this whole time?" I chuckle at the name Diego uses, knowing I had called Reginald that more than once in my mind.

"Yeah, it was pretty shitty, if you ask me."

"You are lucky he kept you, Ester." Luther says, interrupting the conversation. I move my arms from my lap to hold my waist.

"He was a shitty, abusive, bitter old man , Luther. The quicker you realize that, the sooner we all can move on." Luther doesn't say anything back, just keeping his eyes on the road. Luther is too loyal to his father. I understood he raised almost all of us, but that didn't make him a better person.

"You said abusive?" Diego asks, bringing the conversation back. I look over to him. Diego is looking down at me, a few emotions in his eyes, pity being one of them.

"Don't pity me. We all got abused by Reginald in some way. He fucked all of us up."

"Amen to that sister," Klaus says, still looking out the window. I glance over to Klaus. I wonder what Reginald did to him? What did Reginald do to Klaus that drove him to take drugs to drive the ghosts away.

I drop the conversation, not trying to continue it. While we sit in silence, I think of all the terrible Reginald has done, not only to me, but everyone.