" well sometimes the smartest person still needs help, now what will it take for you to agree .... maybe a pout on the face?"

I laughed as he forced his lip into a frown.

" that's ok but I can on Monday's and Wednesday's"

" aight Wednesday is cool with me"

I gave him my number and left to work.

At Work

" hola Chica how is my nephew" my co-worker/ friend Chanel said.

I've been knowing every since I've been working here at Macy's as a makeup artist.

" he's fine you know me and Machai went to court"

" oh wow, how did that go?

" it turn out better than I thought"

" that's good girl, I just can't believe his behind was trying to take full custody"

" girl you, me, and the rest of the world trying to figure that out" I said playfully rolling my eyes.

" and then on top of that we had to meet with a social worker to have a permanent schedule until the next court date"

" damn a social worker ???"

" yes girl like I never thought this would be going on between us"

" me neither child" Chanel said shaking her head.

Other side of town

Machai

" hey pops can I talk to you for a sec" I said stepping into the backyard.

" hell Nawl" he said smoking his cigar laying in one of the lawn chairs by the backyard pool.

" grandson ion think no one wants to talk to you" My grandpa said.

" com'on I'm being serious, mom told me to come to you"

" about what ?" he said with an irritated look.

" well I was talking to her about me and Mya problems and she told me to come to you, she said you would know what she talking about" I said finally taking a seat.

" ohhh she talking about you being a dumbass like your father" grandpa said chuckling.

My dad gave him a mug.

" man chill out" he said to him.

My Grandpa don't ever have a filter on his mouth especially if it's about my dad.

It's crazy how the genes run in my family. We all simultaneously look alike.

" but it's the truth son, you treated his mom like she was a hoe better yet a uhhh side piece, knowing damn well she was the whole meal ..... and dessert.

" mannn can I talk to my son"

" go ahead ...... he act just like yo retarded ass" Grandpa said checking his iPhone XS Max I gifted him for Christmas.

" just listen to me Chai ....... before you was  born she had a miscarry.

" she didn't know she was pregnant for one thing but what caused it was us constantly arguing and stress that was being build on her"

" when she told me that, I felt like half of me died, and the sad part about it is that I didn't comfort nor apologize like I  should have"

" I see a lot of myself in you chai and it's crazy to me .... just like you I loved having multiple women not giving a damn how they felt including your mother."

I saw my dad blink his eyes letting me know it was tears in them. All my life I never seen him actually shed a tear.

" she didn't deserve none of the shit I did to her. yo mama was already dealing Brooklyn on her own, with a job paying her nothing."

" and beside that, I was color struck as well"

" in high school I dated this girl who was close to her skin tone, and she broke my heart by sleeping with one of my friends at the time, so I thought all dark skin women were the same" he said looking at his ring finger with the gold band around it.

" but that was a lie, when I found out she was pregnant again Im not gone front. I wasn't thinking it was mines because I was nervous as hell knowing my life was about to change and my ass wasn't ready for that. Once I saw her stomach growing I knew I had to get serious and be there for you and her" he said staring at me.

I sat glaring at my pops not believe what I was hearing. all I was hearing pissed off. Yea my mother could be rough around the edges but she was still delicate as a flower.

" WHY YOU DO THAT TO HER" I said standing to full my height.

" aye Machai yo ass better calm down I'm still yo father I know it's fucked up but listen to me" he said standing up to me.

" yea listen to ya dad "thing 2" grandpa said shaking his head.

We both sat down.

" Now you know I love your mother to the death of me. I don't want you to mess up like I did, that shit you pulled in court was not cool at all"

" I know I raised you better than this, you need to fix that"

" ASAP" grandpa added.

I guess they were right after all.