Chapter 7: Nothing Lasts Forever

The nurses rushed in everything passed in a blur. I ended up back in the waiting room. I didn't know what to do besides cry. After about two hours the nurse came out.

Nurse: Are you the boyfriend?

Colby: Yes.

I said, even though Jen would kill me if she heard me say that.

Nurse: We have some bad news. She's allergic to the painkillers that we gave her earlier, that's why she had a seizure. She'll just have to tough it out until she feels better.

Colby: Okay, how long do you plan on keeping her here?

Nurse: At the least, two and a half weeks. We still have to run some tests.

Colby: Any advice?

I know, asking the nurse for advice, but is anyone else here to ask?

Nurse: She's a strong one, keep her, and don't fuck up.

She laughed at her word choice, then she turned on her heels and went to finish her rounds, or something like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They finally let me back in the room. She was unconscious. I haven't talked to her about Brennen yet, I wanted her to stop hurting first. I was afraid to lay my hand on hers knowing that I may accidentally hurt her. I jumped as she spoke.

Jen: Don't worry, you won't hurt me Colby.

Colby: Are you sure?

She nodded her head 'yes'

Jen: I find it funny how just a few days ago, you couldn't keep your hands off me, now you're afraid to touch me.

I smiled and leaned over to whisper in her ear.

Colby: You just wait, soon, you'll have your hands all over me, Jen.

Jen: Keep telling yourself that.

Colby: I will.

Jen: How long am I stuck in this hellhole anyway?

Colby: Two more weeks.

Jen: Oh God. Two weeks, with you.

Colby: Don't worry baby, I'll make it fun.

Jen: It hasn't been a month yet, I'm not your 'baby'.

I rolled my eyes at her response.

Colby: Fine.

I said, giving in.

Colby: Babygirl. That better?

Jen: No not that either Colbs.

Colby: Why aren't your parents here? The nurses called them, but they didn't answer.

Jen: Business trip. Remember?

Colby: Yeah, but shouldn't they at least know you're here?

Jen: Yeah, hand me my phone.

Colby: Jen, we don't know if you have a concussion yet, so you can't be on your phone.

Jen: Damn it.

Colby: What's their number? I'll call them then give the phone to you.

Jen: My moms number is 
xxx-xxx-xxxx

I punched in the numbers and gave the phone to Jen. After a few rings someone answered.

Jen's Mom: Hello? Who is this?

Jen: It's Jen.

Jen's Mom: Oh hey, are you okay? Who's phone are you calling from?

Jen: I'm calling from a friend's phone. I got into an accident. I'm at the hospital. It's pretty bad.