Chapter 32

Damian POV

It took me a while to fall back asleep last night. My brain was just on high alert, while my body kept telling me that I needed to sleep. Every sound that I heard that wasn't Caleb's voice made me flinch. Speaking of Caleb.

He stayed up with me until I eventually did fall asleep. His voice was so calming to me; it made me feel like nothing could hurt me anymore. It was a new and different feeling, one that I had never really experienced that much.

I woke up still in Caleb's arms, his phone letting out some pretty notes on the ukulele. A voice that I did not recognize sang out a melodic tune, which made me sink into him further.

It was like this for a while, until I was able to drift off back to sleep again for as many hours as I could manage. No nightmares were made; only something with Jude and I dancing on a stage. My dreams are weird.

***

When I officially woke up and was not able to return to slumber, Caleb was gone. At first I was about to run off the bed and look everywhere for him, but my phone let out a notification from ten minutes ago.

Caleb: You probably woke up to an empty bed, sorry. I had to talk to some kids and set up something before I would have to go into work.
Read 8:52 am

Damian: You're going into work?
Delivered 8:53
Read 9:00

Caleb: Just to grab a few things and sort out some stuff with patients. I'm taking the rest of the week off to help with the kids more
Delivered 9:00
Read 9:00

Damian: Okay. I'll see you in a bit?
Delivered 9:01

I let out a large sigh as I flopped back into the bed, too lazy to get up and face the day. But I knew I had to at some point.

It took me a while before I decided that if I didn't get up and get dressed I would die sitting there. So, I pulled on a shirt that I found on the floor and went to brush my teeth in the bathroom. There were already two boys in there.

"Hey, you're Damian, right?" One of them asked as they were drying their hands.

"Yeah. I'm Jude's older brother."

"Isn't your last name Calwar?"

"Yes? Why is this information necessary? It's too early for this."

"Because your Dad's a fucking psycho!"

"This information is supposed to be shocking, or new to me?"

"Why would you come here if you knew that he was mentally unstable?!" The other boy was trying to pull the kid away from me, apologizing like crazy.

"I-it wasn't my fault..."

"Yes it was! It was your fault! You almost killed me and my best friends!" He was dragged out of the bathroom, still having the other kid apologizing and telling me not to listen to him.

I didn't know what was true anymore; if it was our fault for having an idiot as a father, or it wasn't because it wasn't our control.

Oh well. It's not like that undecided guilt will plague me for the rest of my life or anything.

I was pulled out of my daze due to my phone ringing. I got into instant mom-mode when I saw it was Grey calling.

"What happened? What did you do? I'm on my way over, give me ten minutes to leave-"

"Damian, we're fine! Calm down! I was just wondering when you come home if you wanted to eat with us. We're going shopping for some food."

"You're going shopping for food, without a car, in winter?"