Chapter 6

Grey POV

The gown felt odd and rough against my skin. I hated changing in this stupid change room. What if there was a fire? Then I would have to walk outside with two sheets and my underwear. That's not gonna happen. I would rather burn or die of smoke inhalation.

The x-ray didn't take long. My wrist was fractured in two places and my ribs were bruised. Now all I had to do was change as fast as I could to get back to Jude. I couldn't bear for him to be there, with or without Damian and Avery.

By the time I came back, Damian and Avery were settled around Jude, whose eyes immediately went to my black cast. I went to his side, never breaking eye contact.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Better now that you're here." He smiled and took my good hand in his.

"Oh, will you two get a room?" Damian laughed.

"Well, you see, we did until my brother and my best friend intruded." Jude joked.

"So sorry. Did you want us to leave?"

"Why would I want that? Stay. Just don't shun or blame Grey for this. It was my fault anyway." Jude looked down at the floor and started to tap his fingers against his stomach.

"Stop Jude. You know that's not true. If it's anyone's fault it was Brad and his stupid bodyguards."

"Um, Grey? What did happen, exactly?" Avery asked me. I've never quite heard her voice any other time, but somehow I could tell that there was something different. Like she's been crying for a while.

"I'll tell you later. I don't think that Jude would want to relive it, again."She just nodded her head and clenched her hand into a fist. Her knees were up to her chin and she was rocking back and forth. I could tell that Damian, who was sitting next to her, felt a little nervous, like he didn't know what to do with her current state. I looked at him and nodded my head a little for encouragement, and he placed his hand on her shoulder.

The doctor pulled back the curtain, only this time he was accompanied by two men. Detectives maybe? I wasn't sure. One looked really young, I would say mid to late twenties, the other was around middle thirties. The younger guy had a blue and white plaid dress shirt and black jeans on with white converse. The older one was wearing something for professional, a grey suit with black dress shoes.
"Hello, everyone. My name is Sergeant Charles, and this is my partner, Detective Amsoes. We would like to ask Jude and Grey about the event that just happened today." He looked nice enough. A slight darkness was in his eye. I've seen that look before. I'm guessing either airforce or navy. He's seen a lot.

I explained everything that happened, again. Jude was silent the entire time. I can't blame him. He's lived through this three times now already, and I bet that this is probably all that's on his mind. After hearing all this, Avery had to step out so she wouldn't punch anyone.

I was caught by surprise when Damian spoke directly to me. "Grey, can I talk to you for a moment?" How could I say no? He was the only family of Jude's that was here and i'm guessing that he wanted answers before the police would get a chance to dig even further.

I looked down to Jude for approval, which he enthusiastically gave, and told the detectives I would answer any questions they had when I was done. We went out into the waiting area, sitting with seats that weren't too populated. We sat there for a bt in silence. Finally he broke it.

"Are you playing games with Jude?" he looked straight ahead, and he was sitting like he would strangle me if I said the wrong thing.

"I don't know what youre talking about. What kind of game?" I thought I knew where this was going, but I needed reassurance that Jude actually liked me.

"Oh come on, Grey. I thought you were smart. Jude obviously likes you. In fact, hes had a huge crush on you for quite some time now. How can you be so blind?" he chuckled. I was stunned. But I guess my smile was pretty big. He smirked at me. "You like him, don't you?" I was blushing madly; probably in the process of transforming into a strawberry.

"Yes." I almost whispered it. I wasn't sure if he could hear me or not. "Yes, I like him. Yes, i'm...gay." I had to say the last bit quietly, on the count of seeing my parents across the way.

My mom was the first to spot me. She rushed over and pulled me into a tight hug, one that was only consentual on one side.

"Grey! Oh good lord, Grey! What the hell happened? Tell me, and we'll hold who's responsible." My dad joined us at my mom's side. Stone cold face on, just as usual.

"I'll tell you both later. Right now I gotta get back to Jude and the detectives. I'm fine, Please just go home. Or talk to the doctor or something." I pulled my hood from my mother's grasp, harder than I was expecting, and started to walk to Jude's room with Damian.

"Damian, please. Don't say a word. I want to talk to him about it. It's not fair that he would hear it from someone else, right?" I whispered.

"Right." He said. I put a smile on my face and pulled back the curtain. It looked like the detectives left, so only Jude and Avery were left. They were both laughing at something. I was just glad that Avery got Jude to take his mind off it. That's what he needed right now; a distraction.

I walked over to Jude's side yet again. Our eyes locked; it was as though no one else was here. But the fantasy ended when the doctor poked his head through the curtain. "Jude, Damian, your parents are here. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask that all non- family attendants leave and return tomorrow during visiting hours."

I felt bad for leaving Jude, but he did have his parents, and his brother. He would be in good hands, especially if he told them what happened. I swear if this boy blames himself...

I gave Jude a quick peck on the forehead and told him to text or call whenever. I said goodbye to Damian and walked out the room with Avery, who immediately ran outside started crying.

I figured that my parents went to the car or went home, so I followed her outside. The cold air stung my exposed skin and eyes, making them slightly water. I looked around in dark, heavy snow clouding my line vision. I heard quiet sobs by the staircase, so I slowly made my way over.

She was sitting on steps, rolled into a ball with her head down. She was shivering, so I took my coat off and lay it over her shoulders. Her sobs quieted just a little, but her breathing and hysteria stayed the same. I just stood there awkwardly, until I had the nerve to sit next to her.

"I don't understand. Why? Why does this always happen to him? He hasn't done anything wrong. IT'S NOT FAIR! WHY DOES HE KEEP GETTING PUNISHED FOR CHOOSING TO TELL PEOPLE WHO HE TRULY LOVES! HE DESERVES EVERYTHING; EVERYTHING BUT THIS TORMENT!" She started sobbing again. I put my arm around her and pulled her into a side hug. It took her a couple of minutes to calm down. That's when I talked.

"I know, it's not fair. He becomes brave enough to tell the world that he will not listen to the ignorance that is homophobia. He doesn't deserve the hate that has been delivered to him. He doesn't, but I do." My eyes and cheeks got cold and wet; I was crying.

Her head shot up resting on my shoulder. Her fists were shoved in the coat pockets, and shot a me a stern look.

"Now, you listen to me, Grey Chase. Absolutely, I mean under any circumstances, do you deserve this. If anything, Brad is the one that should be in that stupid hospital room, not Jude. We were so close! I just needed to schedule a meeting with an officer and he would've been fine!" She threw the coat off and sprinted down the parking lot. She was gone already before I could get off the steps. I was left in the black, snowing night, with only a phone and a coat. I headed back into the hospital to find my parents. What's the point of staying here if I can't see Jude? I would just torment myself.