Chapter 28

Quick note: thanks for 800 reads! You guys don't know how happy that makes me, I can't explain it. So thanks!! -Ren

Third Person POV

Damian's fists clenched at the mention of their 'father's' name. He never wanted to hear it again. He never wanted to see him again. He wanted him to disappear from his memory altogether, even if it had come down to electric shock therapy.

"W-what do you mean, it's Dave? What is he doing?" Jude asked. His head shot up and immediately started to shake, Grey's arms tensing around him.

"Caleb, he can't know right—"

"I know what's going on. We all do, Damian! We're not idiots!"

"I never said that you're and idiot. If I had said what was going on, then we would have a panic of thirty kids on our hands with a dangerous sociopath in here!"

"Guys, calm down. It does us no good to argue about this." Caleb said. He replied to a text from his brother, letting him know what was going on outside minute by minute.

"Did we make sure that there was no one else in the bathrooms or rooms? Are we certain that the rest of the children are outside with Charlie?" Damian asked Caleb. Caleb looked up from his phone and ran his fingers through Damian's hair, attempting to calm him down.

"I'm positive. Everyone was accounted for, including the little boy who was found last week."

Damian let out a relieved breath, looking back at the remaining children in the room. Some eyes were turned to them, but most of them were laying in each other's laps and trying to distract themselves from the situation at hand.

"How is this going to play out?"

"The way we need it to." Caleb got another text from Charlie, saying that the shooter was in front of a window. They could have a shot if he wasn't moving around so much. "They think they have a shot." Jude heard this, and jolted. No matter who it was, an no matter what they had done to anyone, he could never handle anyone getting shot. Even in self defense.

Grey smoothed his hair to calm him down, while turning to Damian to ask him a question. "Do they know exactly where he is?" Caleb looked back at his phone and typed something, immediately getting a response. The answer was terrifying, so much so that he decided not to say.

"No, they just know that he's in front of a window on the east side of the building."

In reality, Dave was outside the common room. It was his second to last room to check.

As if on cue, a loud bang was heard yet again, this time even closer to the kids. Everyone jolted, but no one made a sound.

"I know you're somewhere here, fags! I can smell you from a mile away!" Dave yelled as he threw a table across the room, making a loud commotion. "You can't run away from your father! You can't run away from your treatment! YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM YOUR SINS!" He screamed, making kids cry even more intensely than they were before.

Jude was having a panic attack, trying to make his breaths as quiet as possible. His eyes were streaming with tears as his chest was moving at a rapid rate, desperately trying to calm himself down but to no avail. His hand was covering his mouth, while his head was buried in Grey's chest. His whole body shook, every nerve trying to stop his heart rate and diaphragm from overly working themselves. The only words that could come out of his mouth was 'Daddy'.

"Jude. Jude, listen to me. Jude." Grey pulled him back from his chest, making him look him in the eyes. His chest aches from seeing his love in so much pain, where he could do nothing but wait for it to cease. "Jude? Baby, you need to listen to me, okay? You need to squeeze my hand as hard as you can. Can you do that for me?" Grey held out his hand, Jude clumsily grasped it in his own. He squeezed as hard as he could, which wasn't that hard to begin with.

"Good. You're doing great baby. Now I need you to look at my face, okay? Look into my eyes. Don't focus on anything else. Just look at me."

Jude did as was told, which helped calm down his thoughts from racing everywhere. His head went from thinking that he was going to die due to a heart attack, to thinking how he would get his chest from stopping to move.

"One last thing, okay? Breathe in through your nose for three seconds, then out your mouth for seven, okay? I'll do it with you, okay?"

After a minute, Jude breathes calmed down to the occasional hiccup.

"Grey. Grey, it hurts." He groaned out. He collapsed back into his chest, fresh tears streaming down his beautiful feature and onto the green shirt that Grey was wearing.

"I know baby. It's over now. It's going to hurt for a while. It's over now." Grey squeezes Jude as hard as he allowed himself to, not wanting to hurt him even more than Jude already was.

Meanwhile, the S.W.A.T. team outside was just about to enter the lobby as quietly as they could. The door swung open, and floods of officers moved throughout rooms near the rec room. There were two left. Half the officers went in the room where Dave was, half opened the door to where the children were awaiting their demises.

"You're safe now. We're the police. You guys are alright."
Shouts from the other room were heard, and then the loudest three pops that any of the children had heard was emitted. Some of their ears started to ring.

***

Jude POV

"So, i-i w-wa-was really Dave?" I asked out loud to the officers that were standing next to me.

"Yes, the perpetrator was Dave Calwar. He had used the gun that he had kept hidden in his closet."

"Oh, how ironic!" Damian laughed out. He was covered in a blanket like I was, except that he wasn't sitting in Grey's lap, like I was.

"Funny guy, right here. Sorry about him, he's stupid in traumatic situations."

"At least I didn't call my boyfriend 'Daddy' in front of people." I could feel my cheeks get hot, probably extremely red, too. I turned to Grey and whispered in his ear.

"I said that?"

"That's not an issue right now, we can talk about it later." He turned his attention back to the officers. "What's going to happen to Dave?"

"Well, he was shot twice in the leg and once in his shoulder, so they're sending him to the hospital right now. He'll be in custody while there, and then he will be sent to court for an immediate hearing."

"Do we have to testify at all?"

"If necessary. It would help with the chances of sending him away for a longer chance. We'll let you know when the time comes. If you have any questions, just call us, okay? Doesn't matter when, just call." She said as she handed Damian a card with her number on it. The officers headed back to their cars and drove back to the police station.

"Soo...What happens now? Do we go back to Grey's or do we stay here?"

"I'm going to stay here with Caleb. I can drop you guys off at Grey's if you want."

"What do you want to do Jude?"

"I w-wanna go h-home." Grey kissed the back of my beach lightly and rubbed my arms.

"Okay, baby. We can go home."