Facts 1411-1440: Mulan Themed Page

Just want to quickly clarify that this fact page covers facts from both Mulan films. :)

Mulan is probably one of my favourite Disney Princesess ever! She shows some real girl power, that boys aren't the only ones that kick butt, and she's totally awesome!

Here are some facts about one of my all time favourite Disney classics!

Fact #1411 

Some people in China spell Mulan's name in English as: Fa Muhk Laahn. 

Fact #1412 

The Story of Mulan was originally a poem.

Fact #1413 

The Hua Mulan crater on Venus is named after her. 

Fact #1414 

In the original story, Mulan fights in war for 12 years.

Fact #1415 

The original poem of Mulan no longer exists.

Fact #1416 

The different surnames of Mulan are Wei and Zhu other than Fa and Hua. 

Fact #1417 

Jamie Chung plays Mulan in season 2 of Once Upon A Time.

Fact #1418 

The spots on Shang's horse's neck and butt are shaped like Mickey Mouse. 

Fact #1419 

Mulan is rumored to have been a real person, and her story has been told in China for almost 2000 years. 

Fact #1420 

Members of the creative team visited China, where they spent three weeks taking photographs and making sketches for the film.

Fact #1421 

In the original poem, she refused any rewards and simply returned home at the end of the war.

Fact #1422 

Two of Mulan's ancestors look exactly like the old couple from the "American Gothic" painting. 

Fact #1423 

The dog “Little Brother” can be seen in “Tarzan" when the apes shake Professor Porter. A stuffed animal of this character falls out of the Professor’s pocket.

Fact #1424 

Mushu refers to Mulan as ‘Sleeping Beauty’ when he’s waking her up. 

Fact #1425 

The death-toll in “Mulan” far surpasses that of any other Disney movie. It shows the most dead bodies on screen when the army marches towards the Tun Shao Pass and the implied death of the soldiers in the avalanche scene.

Fact #1426 

Mulan names herself “Ping” when asked by Captain Shang in the camp. Along with her last name which in Chinese custom is used before your first name, her name becomes Fa Ping. In Chinese, that translates to flowerpot.

Fact #1427 

The film made $120 million domestically and $304 internationally in the year of its release. It was ranked 2nd of family films of the year, following “A Bug’s Life.”

Fact #1428 

Mulan was the first animated Disney feature film made entirely at the Disney Animation Studios in Florida.

Fact #1429 

Eddie Murphy was cast as the voice of Mushu, because the directors were looking for a character who would be the polar opposite of the delicate and structured Chinese world. Originally, the directors were toying with the choice of Eddie Murphy or Richard Dreyfuss, and they also thought about Joe Pesci. Michael Eisner had to call Eddie personally to convince him to do the role. But, Tony told us that Eddie owed Michael, because Michael greenlit the movie Trading Places which was a successful role for Eddie. So he said yes and was cast fairly early in the process.

Fact #1430 

When Mushu first meets Mulan and Kahn the horse, Kahn stomps on Mushu. In the background painting of the scene,  the hoof marks make a Mickey.

Fact #1431 

When the ancestors first discuss which gardian to send to help Mulan, the top shelf has several stone sculptures of the guardians, one of the sculptures is Hugo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

Fact #1432 

Watch the scene where Mushu impersonates the Great Stone Dragon by holding up his head and talking. After he falls, the stone head falls on him, upside down. Look at the bottom of the head (which is actually the top, but it's upside down of course). Using the eye, and the Dragon's ear as a fin, the bottom looks a lot like Monstro the Whale.

Fact #1433 

Ming-Na Wen from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. voices Mulan.

Fact #1434

Lucy Lu who plays Watson in Elementary provided the voice of Princess Mei in Mulan II.

Fact #1435 

The lady who plays Molly from the comedy show Mike & Molly provided the voice of the Match Maker.

Fact #1436 

The opening titles of Mulan were made by simply putting water colour on rice paper.

Fact #1437 

The situation of the Hun leaders death was the same violent death from the film Naked Gun.

Fact #1438 

Donny Osmond who voices Li Shang was the inspiration for the molding of Hans from Frozen. Hans was created by Donny's nepthew who helped work on Frozen.

Fact #1439 

Once Upon A Time is famous for putting its own spin on classic characters, but its biggest twist came on the Oct. 13 episode when Mulan was essentially revealed to be in love with Aurora.

Fact #1440 

George Takei voices one of Mulan's ancestors.

********

I hope you all enjoyed these facts as much as I did!

"Be a man

We must be swift as a coursing river

Be a man

With all the force of a great typhoon 

Be a man

With all the strength of a raging fire

Mysterious as the dark side of the moon!"