Facts 4291-4320: Hercules Themed Page

*Insert The Gospel Truth here*

'Nuff said :3 

Fact #4291
The role of Hades is one of James Woods' all-time favorite characters. So much so, any time Disney needs him to reprise the character for any cartoon show and video game, such as Hercules: The Series or Kingdom Hearts, he has agreed to do so. 

Fact #4292
Hades was scripted as a slow, menacing character until James Woods took the role and impressed the crew with his rapid-fire style. Even after the script was rewritten, Woods ad-libbed many lines. 

Fact #4293
When Phil and Hercules first enter Phil's hut, Hercules bangs his head on what Phil tells him is the mast of the Argo. In Greek mythology, Jason, the captain of the Argo, was killed when the mast hit his head. In the myths, Hercules was one of the heroes/sailors on the Argo. 

Fact #4294
The "Air Herc" sandals brand is a reference to the Nike Air footwear line. Moreover, the Hercules mosaic showing Hercules running resembles an actual Nike print ad. Nike was the Greek goddess who personified triumph and inspired the shoe company's name. 

Fact #4295
In the movie, Pain and Panic take the shape of two snakes in order to kill infant Hercules, but he simply grabs and tosses them about. This is another reference to the Herculean myths, where goddess Hera sent two snakes to kill infant Hercules, who simply grabbed and choked them. 

Fact #4296
The animators spent 6 to 14 hours to render a frame of the Hydra, depending on how many heads it had. 

Fact #4297
On his way to Thebes, Hercules meets Megara after he saves her from the River Guardian, Nessos. While this is not the story of how Hercules came to know Megara in Greek legend, it IS (almost exactly) how he came to know his second wife, Deianira. 

Fact #4298
During the song "Zero to Hero" the muses talk about Hercules doing things like endorsing products and making personal appearances for money. It may seem anachronistic to the point of being silly on purpose, but even back in ancient Greece and Rome, famous athletes pretty much did all those things and were paid very well for them. 

Fact #4299
The film was released due to backlash against the previous two Disney releases of Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, major criticisms where that they were too "dark" and dealt with "serious issues" that Disney shouldn't use in their animated films. Hercules was released to lighten things up. 

Fact #4300
Hermes, the Messeneger, is shown during the ending of the film playing the keyboard. Paul Shaffer, who provides the voice and inspired the look for Hermes, played the keyboard as his primary instrument on the Late Show with David Letterman.

Fact #4301
There are many references to the Tragedy of Oedipus: Philoctetes decides to take Hercules to Thebes, so that he can be the new hero of the city. There's also a group of Thebians complaining about fires, floods, monsters, and other disasters. This refers to the fact that after Oedipus married his mother Jocasta and became king of Thebes, a plague struck the city. When Hercules spent the day with Meg and says: "And then that, that play, that, that, that Oedipus thing...Man, I thought I had problems." 

Fact #4302
Animator Andreas Deja, who is best known for animating villains like Jafar in Aladdin (1992) and Scar in The Lion King (1994), requested the task of animating Adult Hercules, the hero. 

Fact #4303
James Woods ate watermelon to make the slurping sounds more authentic in the scene where Hades is eating worms. 

Fact #4304
Hercules was the second Disney film, the first being Oliver & Company, where the villain did not sing. 

Fact #4305
The statue Hercules hits while skipping stones is the famous Venus de Milo (or Aphrodite of Milos) which can be seen at the Louvre Museum in Paris, France.

Fact #4306
John Goodman, James Belushi, Gregory Peck, and Patrick Stewart were all considered for the role of Zeus. All of them but Gregory Peck would later however star in Future Disney Animated Films: -John Goodman would voice Pacha in The Emperor's New Groove (2000) and Big Daddy in The Princess and the Frog (2009). -Patrick Stewart would voice Mr. Woolensworth the Sheep in Chicken Little (2005). 

Fact #4307
Pain calls the potion that turns Hercules mortal Grecian Formula. Grecian Formula is an actual product used to color graying hair. 

Fact #4308
The wall painting in Alcmene and Amphitryon's bedroom is the famous "Spring Fresco" from the Greek island of Thera and can be seen at the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. 

Fact #4309
During "Zero to Hero" they show Hercules and Pegasus making concrete handprints. There are multiple complete handprints around them including Achilles and Aphrodite. Each block also references a "Sid". This is Sid Grauman, the creator of the Chinese Theater that showcases celebrity handprints in real life. 

Fact #4310
Production designer Gerald Scarfe, who designed nearly all the characters, worked with Pink Floyd multiple times and is best known for his artwork and animations for The Wall. 

Fact #4311
Zeus is voiced by Rip Torn, who is the husband of Geraldine Page, the voice of Madame Medusa in The Rescuers (1977), another Disney Animated Film released 20 years prior. 

Fact #4312
When Phil admonishes Hercules, "Don't let your guard down because of a pair of big goo-goo eyes," he's clearly mouthing the word "blue" instead of "goo-goo." Meg's eyes were originally going to be blue, but later on they were changed to purple to match her dress. 

Fact #4313
In Meg's song "I won't say" during the phrase, "It's too cliché...", her eyes are blue instead of purple. 

Fact #4314
When Hercules is pulling the wagon into town because Penelope the donkey twisted an ankle, in one shot the donkey is not wearing a sling to support its leg, but in the next shot, it is. 

Fact #4315
When Hercules destroys the marketplace near the beginning of the movie, the pillars start falling outwards from the center of the circle towards the entrance of the marketplace. In the next part of the scene, the pillars are collapsing inwards towards the center of the circle and fall on each other before they crash on the pottery vendor. 

Fact #4316
When Meg talks about her weak ankles, she sticks her left leg out in front of Hercules' face. In the next shot, it's her right leg that's stuck out. 

Fact #4317
Near the end of the movie, Hercules is at the top of the stairs talking to his parents, then suddenly appears at the bottom with Meg. 

Fact #4318
When Hercules is talking to Zeus in the temple, you can see the red ribbon of medal, but when Pegasus flies in, the ribbon is no longer around Hercules' neck. 

Fact #4319
Hades' hair turns yellow, orange, and red when he's angry, but visible blue fire is actually the hottest flame. 

Fact #4320
Josh Keaton who voices young Hercules was the voice of Jack Darby in Transformers: Prime and Peter Parker/Spider-Man in The Spectacular Spider-Man.

******

I hope you all enjoyed these facts as much as I did, and THAT'S the gospel truth!