"Thank you Karen." I said once she broke from our embrace she looked down at my belly and then back up at me. Her eyes asking for approval to touch my belly and I smiled and nodded that she could, so she did and peanut moved around slowly and she just looked at me in surprise and she started laughing.

My parents stood behind her watching over me in the mist and Trisha was by my side never leaving it. Once Karen had her fill of peanuts movement mom had us all move to the dining area, there was no sign of Shawn coming even though Karen said he would be running late because he had to close up the shop he was working for the last 6 months. I quickly shook whatever rising curiosity I had and I sat down instantly getting hungry as I saw the food on the table.

"Before we start I would like to say something on behalf of our family." Karen began as she stood up with manny and a glass of wine in one hand and looked over at me and my parents. "So I'm sure as we're all aware of the situation our families are both faced with, and even though it isn't ideal I just want you all to know how much we love you Ella always have and now our families are just closer then ever and if you ever need us we are always here right beside your parents." Karen said choking back tears as my parents smiled at her and raised their glasses to met hers and Manny's before they took long sips of their wines. Me and Trisha just clinked our glasses of sweat tea and sipped giggling together to one another. 

We all sat down to start eating the dinner my mother and Trisha made. It all looked so delicious, the bbq based whole chicken, with sweet potatoes, dirty rice, some spinach salad topped with heirloom tomatoes instantly making peanut and me want to dive in instantly. Despite the small awkwardness that started towards the beginning of the dinner everything seemed to pick up like before between the parents and I was honestly just enjoying my family, my family and now extended family.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Once everyone left after dinner and desert I helped my mom and Trisha in the kitchen cleaning up everything even though my mom insisted that I take a seat and I told her I was fine. I felt fine, full but fine peanut was fast asleep or in a food coma but they weren't doing to much active movements so I wasn't in any discomfort. Karen would keep apologizing for Shawn never showing up but I reassured her it was fine and I knew he just needed time to adjust to the news and I didn't blame him as he already has a lot on his plate. She kissed me multiple times on the cheek before leaving.

Where was Shawn?

Was he okay? I hope so. I didn't mean to turn his life upside down like I did with this bombshell but I did assure him that I wasn't expecting anything from him if he chose not to be in the babies life and I meant that. I know it sounds harsh but I was just being honest and I knew that it would be a possibility. I didn't know much about his relationship with hope and their kid but from what Trisha told me Shawn was basically only ever in contact with her through his mother after he tried and she kept pushing for them to try being together again. Hopes dad even tried to bribe Shawn with a great position at his company if he just played nice with his precious knocked up daughter and from what mom said that Karen told her Shawn also declined. He told his mother he would be in his daughters life in every possible way but he was never going to see hope in that she dreamed of. Karen also let slip that she would be making sure Shawn got a DNA test once the baby was born because she doesn't feel it in her heart that is his child.

"Hey, you okay Ella? Where did you go?" Trisha asked holding me by the arm and looking at me with concern which made my mom run to my side and she was already shaking.