Chapter 15

Chapter #15

Skypaw's sides heaved painfully, and her breath was ragged with exhaustion. A slight trickled of blood oozed from her left ear tip. She looked up at the night sky, dazed, and was shocked to see only a black darkness.

“Come on, get up! I want you to try it again.” A voice ordered from a tail-length away. Shadowstrike came over until she was hovering over the quivering apprentice.

“Okay,” Skypaw panted as she heaved herself to her paws, shaking her head to clear the thoughts that had caused her wounds. Her eyes were dropping, and she felt like she had not slept decently for a moon. “I thought we fought with sheathed claws.” Skypaw muttered.

“She was right to give you a scratch. You weren't focused.” A growl sounded from behind her. Shadowstrike had brought another StarClan warrior with her. His name was Darkshadow. His pelt was a dark tabby, and very ragged. He had scars across his muzzle and shredded ears. He was a brilliant fighter, so Skypaw wanted to learn everything she could from the powerful tom.

“Too bad. I wish you could see her when she is paying attention. Usually she is quite observant,” Shadowstrike snarled frustratedly. “I was hoping to show you how well she was progressing. Here I was, thinking I was a great mentor, but she doesn't even appreciate it! I should just leave this lousy excuse for an apprentice and let her figure things out for herself! A mouse could be a better warrior than you!”

“How dare you!” Skypaw was fully alert as her side-mentor insulted her harshly. Skypaw lunged at the unsuspecting cat, bowling the black and white she-cat over. Skypaw yowled with rage and unsheathed her claws. No one insults me like that and gets away without a scratch! Skypaw thought bitterly. She raked her claws over Shadowstrike just as the warrior rolled away. Skypaw slashed out again, hoping to connect. Shadowstrike jumped nimbly to her paws and ducked the blow. Shadowstrike had her claws unsheathed as well, and charged at the smaller cat. She gave Skypaw a hard smack on the side of the head, making her dizzy. Skypaw rolled onto the ground to avoid the leaping warrior. Shadowstrike landed just where she had been a heartbeat before, but wasted no time. She darted onto Skypaw's back just as she struggled up. Skypaw felt sharp claws rake her back, so she dropped swiftly onto her side, rolling, which squashed her attacker. Skypaw scrambled away, but quickly dodged in again and shouldered Shadowstrike away, swiping her claws over the warrior's flank. Skypaw snarled before wriggling underneath the warrior and raked her claws across Shadowstrike's underbelly, making the cat screech with pain and anger. Shadowstrike slashed Skypaw viciously with both paws, just catching her hind quarters. It stung, but Skypaw ignored it. Before Skypaw could spin around and attack again, strong teeth gripped her scruff, dragging her back. “Hey!” Skypaw spat at Darkshadow, who had intervened.

The apprentice wreathed around, but could not free herself from the warrior's sharp fangs. She flailed her paws, trying to claw the dark cat. “Let me go, fox-heart!” she growled. The teeth loosened, and she squirmed away, sitting a few tail-lengths away. She started to feebly lick her scratches, which thankfully were not deep. Only her ear tip was bleeding. With any luck, no cat would notice the small wounds on her haunches. She would have to make an excuse for her clawed ear.

“Well, you certainly managed to get her riled up, Shadowstrike,” Darkshadow smirked, with an amused expression. Skypaw glanced up and hissed at the warrior. His gaze hardened and he took a threatening step forward.

“Wait, Darkshadow. You have to admit she was completely focused . . .” Shadowstrike stopped the tom, who looked ready to pounce.

“I suppose. She surprised me. I didn't think she had what it took to become a warrior at first, but now I'm slowly changing my mind.” He admitted grudgingly. Skypaw lifted her chin defiantly, glaring at both of the warriors.