Chapter 7

Chapter #7

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Fallen Oak for a clan meeting!” Flamestar summoning was clear and loud. Most of the cats were already in the clearing, waiting to find out who was going to the gathering. The last cats in camp except for the queens left their dens and joined the crowd. “Quiet!” He ordered, since the cats in front of the great leader were excitedly chattering. “Now,” he meowed when the noise lessened. Then he continued, “The cats that will be attending the gathering include the Elders and Medicine cats- of course-, Mudfoot, Kinkpelt, Pebblenose, Cloverlight, Ivythorn, Stormclaw, Russet- tail, Patchfur, Shadowpelt, Stonefur, Hazelfall, Skypaw and Greypaw!” Skypaw bounced happily when her name was called. She didn't know where Greypaw was, but her mother was padding over to her rapidly.

“Hi, Pebblenose!” Skypaw greeted warmly. She rubbed her cheek against her mother's, purring.

“Hello, my kit. Do you want me to introduce you to any cats? You still have only been to the Gathering a few times?” Pebblenose wondered.

“No, thank- you. Greypaw and I will just mingle with some other Apprentices,” Skypaw turned down the offer gently.

“Well, alright-” Pebblenose was cut off.

“Flamestar, will we mention the battle with Leafclan?” Ivythorn asked curiously.

Flamestar pondered a second then answered confidently. “I suppose it would be wise to warn the other clans' of the stealing Warriors. I shall, and Lynxstar shan't dare deny it!” Pleased murmurs ripple through her clanmates. Skypaw felt a flicker of rage that Lynxstar might just deny it, but Pebblenose nuzzled her affectionately.

“I'll leave you in peace, then,” Pebblenose withdrew and shuffled away. Skypaw went to gather at the Thorn Tunnel with the rest of the cats that were going. Greypaw came up from behind her.

“Hi!” he greeted. Skypaw hadn't seen him the whole day, since he had been on patrols since dawn. Skypaw had tagged along on a long trip to the Gathering place earlier with Windfight and Vinetangle, to make sure that the path wasn't too difficult for the Elders. Of course, Thrushcall was too old to make the journey – Skypaw was even tired from the outing! Swirl and Smalltail would travel with the rest of the clan, though.

“Hi, Greypaw,” Skypaw meowed in return. “It's going to be a short gathering tonight!” Skypaw commented.

“Yes, it'll be too cold to share tongues!” he agreed, fluffing out his long fur in proof. Skypaw's was already fluffed out and it was still short. It was unusual for a Frostclan cat to have thin and short pelts, even in Green- Leaf. As if he noticed, he purred, “You should be a Sunclan cat!”

“No thank- you. I prefer not to catch huge birds that usually prey on us,” Skypaw declined, looking at him through narrow, amber eyes. The cats that belonged to Sunclan lived on top of the cliff face, where their land was rocky, with barely any greenery. Huge birds flew overhead- and not like the Thrushes or Blackbirds that they catch in the forest. Those birds feasted on kits, and Skypaw imagined the large, glinting talons of one plunging down into the fuzzy back of a helpless kit. Skypaw shook her head to rid the scary image. “Anyway, it would be worse 'cause there is nothing to block the wind!”

“True. I'm cold just sitting here, but we should be leaving soon,” Greypaw complained.

Just after he said it, Flamestar yowled, “Follow me, Frostclan!” The grey sky was starting to darken, but Skypaw thanked Starclan it wasn't snowing. Flamestar set a brisk pace once all the cats pounced through the Bramble Tunnel, but not too fast that the older cats could not keep up. Usually one of the Warriors would stay at the back to assist them if they needed help. Skypaw's paws were already sore from the first trek to the cliff, but she didn't whine. Greypaw bounded loudly beside her, the snow crunching under his weight. Skypaw was more graceful and stealthy when she ran, though she was much lighter.