Chapter 2

Chapter #2

“Look! Look! Get up you lazy hedge hog!” a sharp paw prodded her side and woke Skypaw. She recognized Mosspaw's voice. She groaned with grogginess as she rolled onto her back.

“What do you want?” she demanded. Or better yet, why did you wake me? She thought miserably.

“It- it snowed! We've never seen snow before! It's so white and bright! It's so wonderful, and pretty! Come see- oh you have to come see!” Mosspaw babbled on. Skypaw snapped out of her grogginess immediately and bolted into camp. She shut her eyes; it was bright! She slowly opened her eyes and looked at camp. Everywhere she looked it was white! Her heart dropped as it was barely past dawn She bet the dawn patrol hadn’t even been sent out yet! Only a few cats were in the clearing, which was surprising; she would have thought Shadeclan would have woken due to the racket Mosspaw and his two littermates were making.

“Skypaw come!” Reedpaw invited by squealing happily. Skypaw could barely remeber the past Leaf- Bare. She had only been a kit, not old enough to explore the forest. Just as she thought it, she leaped through the snow like a snow- hare to the Bramble tunnel. She burst through the tunnel, smashing into Greypaw. He fell face- first into the snow behind him. Greypaw came up spitting out snow. A bundle of moss was now strewn across the snow.

“What are you doing, Skypaw?” he asked, bewildered.

“I'm so sorry! I was coming to see the forest under snow 'cause I never have before!” she explained. She tried to stay calm, but her amusement made her eyes sparkle. “Sorry again! What were you doing out here?”

“Collecting moss now before it got soaked,” he meowed. “It is pretty though, isn't it?” He beckoned to the forest beyond the slope.

“Yes,” Skypaw's eyes were wide with amazement. She brushed past the tom towards the edge of the slope and looked down at the pond. “Look at the pond!” she gasped. It was a shimmering white, from ice that looked like it covered the whole thing.

“I was just down there, collecting moss on the willow. I plucked some that was high on the trunk,” Greypaw responded. “Can you help me clean out the elder's den?”

“Of course!” Skypaw responded. She helped him pick up the moss that she'd made him litter, before they headed into camp again. Both of their jaws were full of moss. Just as they were crossing the clearing, Amberdawn pushed her way out of the warrior's den. Most of the warriors exited behind her. Flamestar, which she hadn't noticed was already sitting outside of his den. Amberdawn bounded over to him and murmured a few words.

“Skypaw!” Skypaw turned her head as Kinkpelt ran over. “Oh, good for you! Are you cleaning the elder's den by yourself?”

“Oh!” Skypaw hadn't realized Greypaw had disappeared. “It was actually Greypaw who collected the moss, so I offered to help.”

“Okay, Amberdawn will announce the dawn patrol shortly and I think I'm on it,” Kinkpelt meowed. Skypaw waved her tail to signal 'good-bye' and finished her walk to the elder's den.

“Hello Swirl!” Skypaw chirped after she set down he moss. Swirl had once been a Kittypet. A Kittypet was someone who lived with twolegs. Swirl was a grey tabby she- cat, with swirly black stripes, hence her name.

“Skypaw,” Swirl greeted. “An elders worst season has just started. I know Thrushcall's bones are so sore during Leaf- Bare.” Swirl sighed, “Thankfully mine don't get too bad yet!”

“I'll ask him if he would like some herbs,”Skypaw promised.

“Herbs?” Thrushcall echoed. “I don't need any herbs Swirl!” He growled. Thrushcall was a brown tabby tom and the oldest cat in the clan. He did not have the greatest hearing.