Chapter 4

Chapter #4

“You're alright to go back to full apprentice duties,” Brooksong told her, but then quickly warned, “I better not hear that you've been climbing trees or such and open your wound again!”

“I won't! Great! Thank- you!” Skypaw squealed joyfully. “I'm going to see Kinkpelt!” Skypaw announced. She saw that Brooksong was amused, but didn't say anything. She bolted out of the den and frantically searched for her mentor.

Skypaw had been awake since dawn, and had wanted Brooksong's approval before going out. Amberdawn refused her joining of a patrol unless Brooksong confirmed her health, anyway. Skypaw was much so frustrated when she heard that Brooksong was out collecting herbs. Skypaw waited impatiently until sun-high, when she returned. Now that she had her injury checked, she could finally do something useful. Skypaw spotted her mentor fairly swift, so she shouted to get her attention, “Kinkpelt!”

“Slow down. Are you ready-” Kinkpelt meowed, but Skypaw interrupted.

“I cannot wait! There is no way I am spending another second stuck inside camp! Can we go on patrol?” Skypaw babbled. Kinkpelt silenced her by slapping her tail across Skypaw's muzzle. Skypaw rubbed her nose, frowning.

“I will tell you what we are going to do,” Kinkpelt scolded lightly. Her voice was firm, but wasn't loud.

“I know, I'm sorry, but I just hate being helpless!” Skypaw complained.

“It is fine, and I understand how you would feel. Since you are so eager to know, we are just going on a hunting patrol. Mosspaw and Amberdawn are coming, and I'm supposed to gather two more cats,” Kinkpelt informed. “Before you explode, run over and ask Hazelfall and Stonefur if they wish to join our patrol.” Skypaw gave a little hop of anxiousness before finding the two littermates. They were sharing tongues near the Warrior's den. Poppyflower and Stormclaw sat beside them, speaking to them warmly. Snow had begun to fall, in large clumps.

“Um, sorry, but do you two want to join our hunting patrol?” Skypaw apologized for interrupting. She waved her tail at Hazelfall and Stonepelt. They glanced at each other before Hazeltail responded.

“Sure, who else is tagging along? See you later!” Hazelfall called a goodbye to the two clanmates they were with. Skypaw answered her and led them back to Kinkpelt, who had decided to wait at the Bramble tunnel. Amberdawn and Mosspaw were there also. She ran ahead to greet her denmate, who had to reach up to touch noses with her.

“Where are we hunting?” Stonepelt wondered. He looked at Amberdawn, who took he lead. They headed out of the tunnel and took their time going down the slope.

“How about the abandoned two leg nest? No patrols have hunted there for a few days,” Amberdawn suggested.

“That's fine, we could hunt on the way there also?” Kinkpelt answered for them as they nodded.

“Yes, we could,” Amberdawn agreed. Skypaw and Mosspaw walked beside each other at the end of the patrol, while the Warriors talked loudly ahead.

“I still wish I could have been there- at the battle, I mean,” Mosspaw grumbled. “I can't wait any longer!” He complained.

“It will come soon enough, and I'm sure you won't die waiting a few moons!” Skypaw purred with amusement, nudging her friend. He let out a puff of air in response, which she saw float away in a cloud of white. “It's hard to believe it will be colder than this,” she changed the subject.

“I know, we'll be walking snowballs from all the snow that will be our pelts!” Mosspaw joked.

“Maybe you, my fur is not long enough!” Skypaw purred. Mosspaw gave a shake of his fur, letting snow fall away. Skypaw's pelt looked even more blue while flakes rested on the top of her pelt.