Chapter 12

Chapter #12

A pale, hazy dawn light shone through the bramble tendrils above her head. Skypaw sighed as she raised herself to her paws and had a splendid stretch. She stood up after she had eased the stiffness. Greypaw wasn't in his nest, though it didn't surprise her; it was almost sunhigh! Only Blossompaw was resting in her nest. Skypaw realized her eyes were shut, but she was awake.

“I can't believe I slept this late!” Skypaw meowed in shock.

“I can't get back to sleep. I went on the dawn patrol, but I think I'll just get up and do something,” Blossompaw conceded. She opened her amber eyes and stood up. Skypaw followed the tortoiseshell and white cat out into the bright clearing. The sky was a bright blue, even though it was leaf-bare. Greypaw was near the fresh-kill pile, Skypaw noticed, but he was talking to his mentor excitedly. Skypaw saw Mosspaw heading out of camp at the back of a patrol, while Reedpaw was coming in with a measly squirrel in his jaws. His other hunting patrol members had equal catches that would hardly feed the queens. Blossompaw was heading over to greet her littermate. Skypaw searched the clearing for her mentor.

Skypaw happily bounded over to the warrior's den to see if she was resting. It was empty. Skypaw was especially energetic after the good nights sleep she had just woken from. The sun shone brightly, which she hoped would draw the prey out of their burrows. Fogpaw appeared out of the medicine cat den, followed closely by Stonefur. The young tom's shoulder wound seemed to be completely healed.

“Fogpaw!” she caught her littermate's attention as she bounded over.

“Hi Skypaw!” Stonefur greeted blissfully.

“Hello, Stonefur-” she was interrupted as she responded.

“He's finally allowed to go back to warrior duties,” Fogpaw meowed. “Brooksong gave him permission just now.”

“Great! I'm sure you're pleased,” Skypaw purred, flicking her long tail at the warrior. He nodded vigorously. His eyes shone with enthusiasm and he looked like he couldn't wait to join a patrol.

“Can I go?” Stonefur hoped, looking at Fogpaw.

“Go ahead, but be careful!” Fogpaw yowled after the warrior, who was already bounding over to Amberdawn. “Skypaw, did you want something?”

“Do you need any help?” she wondered. Skypaw faced her brother.

“No. Go join a patrol,” Fogpaw declined bluntly. He turned around and disappeared back into the cave without another word. Skypaw gaped.

“Oh. Alright,” Skypaw replied, stunned at how her brother was still cold to her. She turned around, hurt. She flattened her ears with confusion at her littermate's isolation from her all of a sudden. Skypaw shook her head, deciding not to be bothered.

“Skypaw!” her mentor called her name from the fresh- kill pile. Another patrol must have arrived. Skypaw swiftly headed over, but Kinkpelt intercepted her in the middle of camp.

“I just checked the warrior's den for you,” Skypaw meowed. She looked at her mentor quizzically, wondering what they were going to do.

“I was thinking I would give you a short training session. I know you went on multiple patrols last sunrise, and you have not been to the training clearing for a couple days,” Kinkpelt explained quickly. Skypaw nodded as Kinkpelt turned to the Bramble tunnel. She turned her head at an excited yowling to see Greypaw spinning and bouncing happily as if he was a kit.

He looked wildly around the clearing until he locked gazes with Skypaw. He scampered over, almost tripping, “Skypaw! I'm having my warrior assessment! If it goes good, I'll be made a warrior at sun set!” Skypaw gaped for the second time that afternoon.