「THIRTY NINE」

I hate pain. I hate sorrow. I fear devastation and the unknown.

The known is that my grandfather is alive. He has been alive all these years. I don't know how he managed to make it through the hell he was in. No-one can do what he did. Not unless that person is Ridge. Ridge Hernandez.

That is where the pain, the sorrow and the devastation comes in.

He was shot. He was hurt. He is unconscious.

The unknown is when he'll wake-up. But I know he will. I know he's trying. I know it because I went through the same thing just last week. I got hit by a car, that Ridge was driving and I think that's the most beautiful part, that it was him.

“You've grown so much pumpkin.”

“Thanks grandpa,” I say shaking any thoughts of Ridge away. 

“What are you thinking? You've been staring into space for a while now,” he says pinching my cheek and I chuckle.

“If I had tried sooner, I could have gotten you out of there a lo-”

“Nonsense. The bottom line is that you followed your instincts and they led you to me,” he says and I smile.

“I'm so happy you're stronger now grandpa,” I say and he laughs.

“You'd be surprised what three weeks of hospital food can do to you pumpkin. It tastes bad but it really builds.”

“That's great. You'll be out of here soon,” I say.

“Yeah. This Friday. I still have four more days here though,” he says and I sigh sadly.

“I'm sorry about your house,” I say looking at the floor.

“It was a piece of old crap anyways. It was about damn time,” he says laughing a little.

“I prepared my apartment for you,” I tell him and he smiles.

“Really now? Thank you pumpkin. How's the young man doing? Bridge is it?” he asks and I crack up at his mistake.

“No grandpa. It's Ridge. Ridge Hernandez. He should wake up anytime soon. It's been three weeks already,” I say and he nods.

“Did you visit him today?” he questions

“Uhh.. No,” I reply.

“Well. What are you still doing here?” he asks and my eyes widen.

“It's just that. Well... I heard that his family was coming to see him. From England,” I mumble looking at the floor.

“So?” he asks.

“I haven't really heard the best of things about them. They'll probably dislike me too if they see me,” I say.

“Nonsense. If you don't go, I will,” he says and I laugh.

“Okay.”

It's a good thing I can walk now. I can run too, not that anyone cares.

I stop by the vending machine and get a chocolate. In case Ridge wakes up. I've been doing this for three weeks now. There's a pile of different chocolates on the floor in his room already. Whichever chocolate he wakes up to will be my lucky chocolate.

I see that Ridge's room is open. Voices can be heard, coming from the small room, all English accents. I stop near the door and I'm hurt by what they're talking about. 

“It's quiet shameful isn't it?” An older lady says.

“Yes mother. First it's drugs, now this,” A male voice replies. Someone groans.

“Stop it mother. You're both pathetic. You still believe that he actually did that? Damone framed him I'm sure of it,” a female voice scolds.

“Susan. Watch your tone with your mother. I get that you want to defend your brother but you can do that with a little respect, can't we?” A mature voice speaks. That must be his dad.

“I thought he had changed but, I guess he's going back to his old ways. We should probably take him to rehab,” The woman says again.

At this point, I have all my answers about Ridge's family. I enter the room and they all turn to me.

“Uhh.. Hello?” The blonde girl who seems to be his sister greets me with a friendly smile.

“Hi,” I say with a little wave.

“Can we help you sweetheart?” The blonde woman who appears to be his mom asks smiling at me. She seems cool.

“Oh. I uhm... I'm here for him,” I say using the chocolate to point at an unconscious Ridge.

“May I kindly have that chocolate, please?” A little blond blue eyed girl asks and I smile looking down at her. 

“This one is for your big brother but you can have any one of those,” I say pointing to the pile on the floor. 

“You're the one that bought all these?” His older sister asks and I nod shyly. 

“Are you a friend of my son?” The man questions and I nod.

I don't know whether Ridge would want me to tell them that I'm his girlfriend or not so I just nod. 

“Yes sir. I'm your son's fr-” I say but get cut off. 

“Girlfriend. You're my girlfriend... aren't you Mushroom?”

My heart leaps in my chest. He pries his eyes open and my jaw drops. I feel tears stream down my face. 

“Aren't you happy to see me alive Mushroom?” he asks with a smirk.

“I promise you. Never in my life have I ever been more happy to see that shade of grey Hernandez,” I say and rush to him.

“She's lovely, isn't she?” Ridge's mother whispers from behind thinking that I can't hear her. I smile to myself.

“Hey beautiful,” he whispers looking into my eyes and I lean over and kiss him on his jaw. He chuckles.

“We'll get going then. She seems like a very nice girl son. Don't mess it up too,” His mother says.

They walk out and his sisters wave at us just before they exit. They seem nice. 

“Mushroom, where's my chocolate?” he asks and my eyes widen in surprise.

“You heard me?” I ask and he chuckles.

“Yes. I heard you every time. You would tell me the name of the chocolate you bought. Asking me to wake up for it,” he says and I giggle taking a seat in the chair next to him, I hand him the Kit Kat chocolate bar.

“You can walk now Mushroom,” he states and I nod my head.

“Yeah. I had to learn if I wanted to see you every single day. James likes complaining and Elena well... Okay I could've asked her but I just didn't,” I say to him.

“I'm so proud of you baby,” he says. I run my fingers through his hair and his eyes close momentarily. 

“We found my grand dad Ridge. He's alive and he's here in the hospital as well,” I tell him and he grins.

“That makes me so fucking happy Mushroom. I wouldn't have known how to make you happy if anything else had happened to him. Where will he live? That damn bastard blew up his home,” he says looking mad. 

“No Ridge. Let's forget about him, he's locked up now. My grand dad will live in my apartment with m-” 

“You'll live with me Mushroom. No discussions,” he says with finality and I laugh at his temper. 

“Okay. Okay. Okay. Relax, I'll move in with you Ridge,” I say to him and he chuckles. 

“Didn't I tell you Mushroom? I told you we'd figure it out,” he says and I smile.

“And we did. We figured it out,” I say and he chuckles.