「TEN」

A key. A golden fucking key. Stupid key almost gauged my precious eye out. 

“What's this? You put this here before you moved out?” Ridge asks me and I shake my head. His grey eyes find my own and an electric impulse runs straight through my spine and into my stomach. 

“No. Not that I know of,” I answer all the while trying to recover from my temporary blindness, “What does the note say?” I add on. 

“Italy. Meeting with D. Williams?” he says looking at me questioningly.

“Huh? That's Damone. Why would he meet up with Damone?” I ask nobody in particular. Did Damone kill him? 

“I don't know Mushroom. We'll have to find out,” he says and holds up the key to observe it.

The sunlight penetrates the blinds and brightens his grey eyes and sharpens his jaw line furthermore. I've never seen anything so sharp in my life. Damn, his jawline is sharper than my brain and his eyes are even brighter than my future.

“This is a very unique key. Only seven exist. It's one of a kind Mushroom... Like you,” he says looking at it in awe before shifting his gaze on me. 

“How do you know a lot about a simple key? I think you're bluffing,” I say. Who exactly is he and how does he know all these things? 

“This is a Chinese key from Yunnan Province, from the early twentieth century,” he says and pauses, sending a smirk my way.

“With the onset of the Industrial Revolution in the late eighteenth century and the concomitant development of precision engineering and component standardization, locks and keys were manufactured with increasing complexity and sophistication... Just like this one,” he pauses and smirks yet again.

 “Still think I'm bluffing Mushroom?” he asks me amused. I just roll my eyes.

“Shut up,” I mumble annoyed.

“I'm starting a gun manufacturing company Mushroom. I know all about mechanics,” he says. That's got to be illegal. You can't just make and sell weapons.

“Isn't that a crime?” I question. 

“Not if I'm supplying the militaries of about fifty two counties Mushroom it's not,” he says smugly. 
“Wow. Fifty,” I say overwhelmed. I knew he was a criminal.

“Alright so for now we'll assume that Damone Williams was the last person to see your grandfather alive. This could explain why he's after you. He's looking for something,” he says. I sigh and sit on the bed. What was my grand dad doing with a man like Damone Williams?

“Mushroom I think we should get out of here,” Ridge suddenly says. I look at him questioningly.

“So soon?” I ask feeling a bit disappointed. 

“We really have to. Listen properly. Do you hear that?” he asks and that's when I hear it.

 A high frequency beeping sound. Almost like a bomb countdown. He points to the vintage clock on the wall  that's when I notice a wire bomb latched onto it with a red digit countdown just like the ones in the movies with the red, green and black wires. My eyes widen in alarm.

 Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Ridge suddenly looks at the window in front of us then looks back at me, “Run.”

I run about five steps and dive into the window screen shattering it simultaneously with Ridge and the bomb explodes while we are mid-air. The explosion is so powerful it sends us flying straight onto the driveway with an unexplainably great force.

I feel dizzy and out of my body. There's a very loud ringing sound in my ear and I can feel my veins and heart pumping blood to several parts of my body. It's as if my brain is about to explode. My eyes slowly begin to close and the last thing I see is a massive fire in the place where our family home used to be.

“Hey wake up. Mushroom, you're okay come on. Hey Eiffel. Eiffel!” I hear lowly just as my ear seizes transmitting sound waves. And I lose consciousness completely. 

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Please Vote, comment and share! ♥