Prologue

There has been so much that has happened in my life since high school. Where do I begin? I guess the beginning is as good a spot as any.

My name is Lydia Marie Canteles. The origin of my last name, apparently, means "music" and you could say that that fits. My entire family are musicians, dating back many generations. Some of us play string instruments like the violin and the harp, but we all use our voice in song. I don't know why, but it feels natural like I was born to sing. I can't live without it just like the oxygen is essential to breathe. We can't survive without it.

...Well, some of us on this planet, anyway, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Don't worry, I'll explain all that in full later.

My life wasn't perfect by any means. Sure, I had good grades in elementary, junior high, and high school. I even earned a scholarship to one of America's most prestigious art schools, Julliard. Doesn't sound too bad face forward, but I had a secret that I kept from my family and friends in fear that they wouldn't believe me.

The downfall to my life was my boyfriend, if you could call him that. Though, on the surface he could be charming and charismatic, his true self was revealed when no one was around us. He lost his temper many times, but I was always able to hide the results of his behavior.

Why didn't I just leave, you might say? Many times I thought of leaving, but at the time, I blamed it on stress he was undergoing at work and school. I convinced myself that it wasn't really him hitting me, that he did love me. Besides, both our parents and all their mutual friends expected a lot from the two of us. Everyone had big plans for us. So as to not be a disappointment, I put up with it all and kept quiet for the two years that we had been dating.

Senior year seemed to go by slowly, but at the same time, too fast. The whole senior student body was getting ready for our upcoming graduation at the time. On the eve of graduation day, something happened that night in the woods out behind the school grounds.

One night...... One choice...... My life was to change forever....................

 My life was to change forever