Chapter 27

-Peter's POV-

I walked home from school alone like I had been doing for the past couple of weeks. When I arrived at the manor I hung my backpack on the back of the desk chair in my room and changed out of the school uniform. I grabbed one of the books I had been reading off the shelf and went downstairs to read in the living room. Sitting by the window, I sighed, content with the peace and quiet. After an hour, Drogo walked in and asked me where Lydia was. I just shrugged my shoulders, saying, "Jones kept her after class. I don't know for how long, though." Nicolae was also in the living room, sitting in the armchair and reading his book, when he suddenly put the book down and headed out into the foyer. Just then, we heard someone pounding hard on the front doors. Drogo and I exchanged glances with each other and then rushed to join Nicolae. The front door was already open where I could see both Sarah and Sebastian standing there trying to catch their breath. The panicked looks on their faces had me concerned. Nicolae invited them to come inside and explain their presence at the manor. "I can tell you both have something very important to tell us. Please, do come in and we can go sit and talk in the living room. "Heh... The one time I'd prefer you to read my mind," Sebastian spoke sarcastically, out of breath like he had been running instead of riding his bike. "I can if you want me to," offered Nicolae. "No, it's okay. we will get right to the point."

Sarah had obviously been crying. Seeing her smeared makeup, I knew something was wrong. I immediately blurted out the words, asking, "Where is Lydia!?" Sarah broke down crying as she answered, "I w-waited for Lydia by the car. I saw her come out after she was done talking with the professor. I just.... It was only a moment." "It's okay, Sarah. Tell us what happened," Nicolae said, encouraging her to continue. "I looked down to check my phone messages and then put it away in my bag. When I looked up Lydia, she.... She was gone." "Gone!? What do you mean gone?" I asked with my voice raised louder than necessary. Sarah continued, saying, "I ran over to where I had seen her standing by the steps. Her backpack and phone were on the ground, along with this." She held up a handkerchief that reeked of chloroform. "So then I ran inside the building to tell Professor Jones," Sarah finished.

"That is when I rushed outside to the area where Sarah said she found Lydia's belongings," Sebastian spoke up. Drogo suddenly asked, "So someone kidnapped her? Was it the Templar Descendants?" "No, I do not believe it was," Nicolae chimed in. "How can you tell?" asked Sarah. "There is a smell on top of the chloroform that I have never smelled before, something I am not familiar with. It is definitely a supernatural essence, but it is neither the scent of a wolf, nor is it a vampire." Drogo replied, "Well, that doesn't make any sense! There are no other supernatural creatures in this town except for witches." "Honestly, it was not any of us. Lydia is an ally, so we wouldn't...," "No, we know it wasn't anyone from your clan either," Nicolae said with assurance. I could not speak. For the first time in a long time, I felt something I hadn't felt since being human. I had almost forgotten what it was like to feel nausea and suffocation. Both symptoms came upon me like I was being punched in the stomach multiple times. Nicolae noticed my state of being and came over to place his hand on my shoulder to calm me down.

 Nicolae noticed my state of being and came over to place his hand on my shoulder to calm me down