Chapter 34

A couple weeks had gone by since that emotional breakdown. I was determined to not let it get me down. With only a week left before my wedding, all the invitations were sent to those close to the Bartholy brothers and myself. Those we trusted to not reveal news of our union had all replied with the notice that they will be attending. Peter and I chose to have our ceremony in the garden and the reception on the terrace since we wanted it to be a private celebration at home. We also chose to write our own vows. Only a few more things needed to be done to prepare for the special event. I was grateful to have both Victoria and Sarah to assist me, and make things less stressful.

I had been staying in Peter's room with him each night since the evening of our engagement. Waking up early in the morning, I stretched my limbs and turned to give my man a 'good morning' kiss. Sitting up, I swept my legs off the side of the bed and reached for my robe to put on over my nightgown. It was the day the three of us ladies, along with Lorie, had an appointment scheduled for me to try on dresses at a store in town, which only sold evening gowns and wedding dresses. "Busy day today, right?" Peter asked. I told him what the day's schedule was for us ladies, with visiting the dress and flower shops, and making time for lunch in between. He smiled and informed me, stating, "I will be busy as well. My brothers and I decided to get new tuxedos, so Nic invited a private tailor to come by later this morning." When I looked at him in confusion as to why they would need new suits he explained while combing his fingers through my hair. "Our wedding day is special, so to wear suits we have worn before would taint it and dampen our day's special meaning." "Oh, Peter... I love you," I said as I hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me and replied, "I love you too."

After I got ready for the day and had my breakfast, Lorie, Victoria, and I were on our way into town in Nicolae's car. We met up with Sarah and walked in where the beautiful gowns were on display in the front windows of the store. The bell rang when we opened the door, signaling our arrival. A lady appeared from the back to greet us and ask if we had an appointment. I mentioned my name and she found me listed on her computer for a morning appointment. "Ah, yes, of course. Right on time. We can go over the style you are looking for and pull out a few dresses for you to try on, one at a time. If you will all follow me to the lounge, please?" We followed her and sat down to discuss what I wanted while a store clerk brought out glasses of champagne and water for us. The store owner then led me into the dressing room to take my measurements.

When she finished marking my measurements on paper she left me alone to go look on the racks of dresses in another room

When she finished marking my measurements on paper she left me alone to go look on the racks of dresses in another room. A few minutes later, she and one of her assistants had returned, carrying many dresses in their arms and hanging them up on the rack by the mirrors. "Each of these are the only Grecian designs we carry in this store. Hopefully, you will find one to your liking." She took one out of its plastic covering and hung it on a clothes rack inside one of the dressing room stalls for me. Closing the stall door behind me, I took my shoes off and undressed to put on the first dress. I stepped out and took a look at myself in the mirrors before going out to show my friends and Lorie.