Chapter 40

-Peter's POV-

The moment I opened my eyes, I saw my angel staring at me with tears in her eyes, holding my hand to her face. I flexed my fingers and caressed her cheek. "Lydia...," I whispered. "Don't you ever scare me like that again, Peter!" she scorned before drying her tears and climbing up on the bed to lay next to me. Her behavior and words brought a half smile to my lips, and I wrapped my arm around her to cuddle while she laid her head on my shoulder. Reaching up towards me, she placed her left hand on my chest. I looked up to see everyone relieved that I had woken. My brother, Nicolae, then spoke to the others to give Lydia and me some privacy. Turning my head to the right, I saw that Sarah had been laying on the bed as well, but was currently being helped to her feet and led out of the room. Noticing her leg was bandaged, I guessed that she too was injured, but I was too exhausted at that moment to ask what happened. Deciding to find out the details later, I laid there in silence with my love.

Morning came with sun rays peering through the window curtains. Lydia stirred as she began to wake. She was more beautiful to me than ever before. I knew that the reason was because I was lucky to be alive to much more appreciate the moments like watching her sleep and wake with the sunrise. My wife stretched her limbs, opened her eyes, and grinned at me. She then hugged me and sighed as we laid there together. Pulling her close to me, I returned her embrace and kissed her head. "I am sorry that I made you worry," I apologized. "I am just so thankful that Alex was able to create an antidote in time to cure you and Sarah. I almost lost you both." "What happened after I passed out?" I asked. "What's the last thing you remember?" she asked in return as she sat up. "I remember the pain as soon as we reached the forest." Lydia nodded and replied, saying, "We should join the others, and we can all recount what we witnessed. Everything that both you and Sarah missed, that is."

The two of us stood up from the bed and walked out of the room. I was feeling perfectly fine by then, so I had no trouble walking. My brothers, Sebastian, Sarah, and Alex were all sitting at the table in the dining room. Marco and Ludovica were standing in the kitchen. Sarah's other two cousins were sitting in the living room. I noticed there were a few people missing, so I asked about them. Nicolae relayed the tale of the battle, along with who had died in the process. Sarah had said the last thing she remembered was creating the flames in retaliation for her grandmother's death. What amazed us both was hearing how Lydia used her powers when it seemed all was lost. Nicolae shared the images of her and the water avalanche with Sarah and me. It was incredible to see everything from his mind's eye. "Wow! I wish I had been awake to see it for myself," Sarah stated. Alex then went into detail about the weapons and what was in the bullets that Sarah and I were hit with, and what it took to counter the effects of the poison.

Lydia stood up to get herself something to eat. I followed and hugged her from behind, wrapping my arms around her. She leaned her head back against my chest and held my arms tight against her. Suddenly, I felt something move under my hand, causing me to release my grip on her, and I stepped back. "What on earth was that!?" I asked in shock. Everyone went silent and turned their attention to us. Lydia turned around and grinned as she placed her hands on her belly. My eyes went wide with surprise at the implications of her silence and the gesture. "I have good news to tell you," she finally spoke. "Wait! This means... Are you telling me...?" I started to ask as I moved forward and reached my hand to touch her again. "Yes, Peter," she answered with a smile. She took my hand and held it against her stomach, and once more, I felt the movement inside her. Overwhelmed with joy, I said, "It's real! I never thought this would even be possible, but it's real!"

Both of my brothers came up on either side of me and gave me hugs at the same time. Sebastian and Marco congratulated me on becoming a father. Sarah limped up to Lydia, squealing with excitement, and wrapped her arms around her. "Wait a second! How long have you known, Lydia? Because if the baby is already kicking...," I asked with concern. "Now, don't get mad, but−," she began before I interrupted her, raising my voice. "You knew before we left for Canada!? How could you put yourself and our child at risk?" Nicolae placed his hand on my shoulder, and I guessed he knew as well. "Nic, you knew, didn't you? All this time... How could you allow her to go when you knew how dangerous it was?" My anger rising, everyone but Lydia and my brothers backed off a bit to give us room. Nicolae proceeded to explain himself. "Peter, I understand you are upset, and of course you would be, after being the last to know. I can assure you that Lydia was in no danger, though. The sirens within her would not allow any of the bullets or arrows to make contact." "Also, if she had stayed home, it is very likely that we would all be dead right now," Drogo chimed in.