Chapter 39

-Lydia's POV-

Several minutes had gone by while my friends and I waited for Nicolae, Drogo, and Peter to return. I watched the entrance to the compound for any sign of movement, becoming more anxious by the minute. I looked over to Sarah, standing to my left, with a worried look on my face. She shrugged her shoulders, but then Elizabeth straightened up and put her hand on Sarah's shoulder, looking forward as she pointed toward the gate with her other hand. I turned my head to see the gate being opened wider. To my horror, I witnessed Nicolae and Drogo supporting Peter's weight between them as soon as they came into view. Suddenly, they appeared right in front of me, and instantly, Peter screamed out in pain. Scared to death by the sound of his voice, with desperation, I asked, "What happened!?" "We don't have time to explain! Everyone, they are coming! Get back to our rendezvous point, now!" Nicolae warned.

My eyes went wide with horror to see Peter continuing to grunt in pain. Nicolae turned his head toward his brother to say, "Drogo, we cannot speed Peter to safety. It's forcing the bullet to move deeper inside him toward his heart." "Bullet!?! Please, tell me what happened to him!" I asked demandingly. Drogo answered quickly and told me by stating, "Peter was shot in the shoulder." A few minutes passed when we finally heard gunshots, and a second later, the tree we were standing next to got hit. Pieces of the bark broke off and fell to the ground. "Everyone, run! Protect yourselves and get out of here!" Nicolae yelled. The witches cast a spell to create an invisible shield wall to block the bullets and arrows from getting through. "That should hold them off for a while!" Cassandra called out. Everyone then turned and ran the opposite direction from where the Templars were aiming at us with their automatic rifles and bows and arrows.

Suddenly, I looked to my right and saw two of the wolves get hit with arrows. Their bodies went down and slid across the ground from the momentum. To my left, two of the witches yelped as they were shot. One got hit in the back, straight through the heart, and the other in the head; both killed instantly. Another of the wolves got hit with an arrow, his body going down just as quickly as the others. I felt something whip past me a second later. Then Sarah, who was running ahead of me, screamed and fell forward, catching herself against a tree. She looked down to see she was hit in the leg behind the knee. Every one of us stopped and looked behind, shocked that we were still being attacked. Breathing heavily from running, Alex yelled to warn us all as he acknowledged the shield wall was still up, but wasn't having any effect against the Templars' weapons.

 Breathing heavily from running, Alex yelled to warn us all as he acknowledged the shield wall was still up, but wasn't having any effect against the Templars' weapons

"TAKE COVER!!!" Sebastian yelled. By that point, he had returned to his human form. It was pointless to continue as a wolf, despite his anger at the loss of his pack brothers and sisters. The trees were thicker the deeper we had come through the forest, so it was easier to stay out of the way, thankfully, but we were stuck and unable to escape. While Alex and Cassandra were trying to help Sarah move behind one of the trees, Nicolae yelled, having seen a bullet flying right into their line of path. "Sarah, look out!!" A couple seconds later, Cassandra moved to position herself behind her granddaughter to block the oncoming lethal projectile. The bullet hit her in the chest. The impact caused her to inhale, her breath catching in her throat as she collapsed. All of the witches, especially her grandchildren, cried out in shock and disbelief. Sarah and Alex tried to catch her body as it fell, but they themselves fell backwards along with her to the ground.