Chapter 23

The next day, we were scheduled to visit a few shrines where people used to pray to the gods. Sitting in the van before taking off, the professor attempted to do a quick roll call. 'Attempted' being the key word because of the little verbal prank that was played on him by all of the guys; Peter being the exception. "Matthew here?" Professor Jones asked. Matthew answered, "My name is Spartacus!" "NO, I am Spartacus!" yelled James. "No way! I am Spartacus!" replied Cody. The girls, Peter, and I each rolled our eyes. "O.M.G. Really, guys!?" Jessie spoke out. They shrugged and laughed at their own joke. Professor Jones shook his head, snickered, and moved on. (I guess it was kind of funny after all.) After determining everyone was in the van, he stepped on the gas pedal to drive off to our first destination.

We visited the Temples of Jupiter, Saturn, and a few others just outside of Rome. We even got to see the ruined temple of the Emperors Vespian and Titus. Each location was an incredible historical sight. I was amazed by how much of the ruins were still standing after centuries had passed. I imagined what the structures may have looked like in their prime. While I was at it, I took pictures to remember our time there and was about to ask Peter if he wanted to take a selfie with me, but then remembered that a photo might be similar to a mirror, so I decided otherwise to remain silent. For a split second, a feeling of sorrow of not ever being able to share moments like that with Peter came over me. "Lydia, you're frowning. What's on your mind?" I heard him ask me. I shook the thought out of my mind, looked up to smile at him, and answered, "It's nothing important. I'm fine."

The rest of the day went on without a hitch as well as the next. It was soon Saturday, and we all stayed at the hotel for a day of relaxation. The girls and I went to the hotel's spa and enjoyed a little pampering with a full body massage and facial. We then visited the nail salon and got ourselves a mani/pedi. Later, everyone went to the pool and hottub area on the main floor of the hotel, though Peter and I only sat together on the edge, dangling our legs in the water. It always calmed me, even made me happy when the two of us could just sit and talk. Those moments were very precious to me. It didn't matter what we talked about, just spending time with him is all that mattered to me. My feelings for him grew more and more each day.

	Sunday morning came, and some of us were on our way to a local church cathedral

Sunday morning came, and some of us were on our way to a local church cathedral. The professor had given us the option the night before if we wanted to attend church services or not. As we stepped out of the van, I whispered, so only Peter could hear, "You're not going to burn to a pile of ash once you step inside, are you?" He smirked and shook his head. "What was that newer TV show you like? A Discovery of Witches I think it was called." "Yeah, and what does that have anything to do with it?" "Wasn't the first scene of Matthew De Clairmonte where he is standing alone in a small church building in front of the altar, holding prayer beads?" "Yes." "Well, the author at least got that part right," he finished and winked at me. We exchanged grins and continued on in and found an empty spot to sit in the back with a couple of our friends. It was a good thing only the choir sang there, for I didn't want to create a scene unnecessarily.