Chapter 5: "Ready to take care of the devil's spawns?"

"So? What did they say?"

Marleigh inwardly winced at her best friend's question, looking to her left. Noah was behind the steering wheel, although he was taking "the long way."

Two days had past since her parents had visited and now they were driving up to Napa Valley from their home in Palo Alto. It was about an hour and a half drive, so Marleigh had about 30 more minutes until she was back in the home she so eagerly wanted to get out of. 

"Marleigh? Marleigh!"

Said girl pulled the phone away from her ear at Karina's screechy voice. "Sorry about that Karina, what were you saying?"

Her best friend sighed dramatically. "You spaced out on me again Marleigh," she stated in a knowing tone. "I said what did your parents say?" 

"Oh, right. Well they struck up a deal with us…" Marleigh answered hesitantly, while peeking at Noah.

She noticed that her boyfriend had stiffened up a little at the mention of that. They had talked about it earlier after they left and Noah wasn't exactly the most chill person to talk to.

The door slammed as both of Marleigh's parents left the room, which Noah took as the cue to start freaking out. 

He stood up hastily, and began pacing back and forth with his hands on the side of his face, looking at anything but Marleigh.

At first, the blonde found him an amusing sight and even took out her video camera to film him for a while. However, after a few minutes passed and he was still doing the same thing, he was beginning to give her a headache.

Marleigh sighed, switching off her camera, and went up to him, gently taking his hands in hers. 

"Noah, Noah." She called out, but he didn't respond. "Noah look at me," She stated sharply.

Her boyfriend instantly turned around to her, but she could still see the panic look in his eyes.

"I'm gonna get killed Marleigh!" He practically screamed in her face.

"Woah, woah. Calm down what do you mean?" Marleigh asked, putting some space between the two so he wouldn't directly in her face again.

"Your siblings are going to torture me and if it doesn't work your dad will sick Gray and Perry on me!" 

Marleigh tilted her head, trying to understand him better. Who were Gray and Perry? She voiced her thoughts.

"Those guns that mean murder and kill!" Noah called out, throwing his arms around to exaggerate his words.

If Noah wasn't a complete mess at this point, Marleigh would have busted out laughing. "You mean Gwaed and Perygl?" She asked, in a Welsh accent.

"Yeah that!" Noah stated lamely, but she could still see the panic in his eyes.

"Do you not want to do this deal? We can just go and tell dad no…" Marleigh stated, trying to cover the obvious hurt she was feeling. 

"No, no!" Noah called out, grabbing onto her wrist as she began walking towards the door. He gently pulled her arm, causing her to spin around, nearly hitting her face on his chest.

He pulled her into a tight embrace, smothering his face into her beautiful, blonde hair. "Don't do that Marleigh, if you do that then your dad won't let us be together." He muttered.

"Do you really want to be taking care of the devil's children this entire month?" Marleigh questioned, picturing the other things she could have been doing on a beautiful summer day.