Chapter 3: "Please sir, I don't want to play Russian Roulette!"

Marleigh stared boredly at her brown-haired boyfriend who was pacing back and forth nervously in front of the door. Ever since she told him that her parents were coming by at 3:00, he's been a nervous wreck. It seemed as though he was going to meet the President of the United States, rather than her parents. She silently wondered if she was that nervous when she met his parents. No, probably not.

"Just calm down Noah, do you really wanna be pacing back and forth on a rug? What if my parents come and when you're shaking their hands, you electrocute them? Hm?" The blonde joked, but the horror on her boyfriend's face indicated to her that he hadn't caught on.

He froze in his spot, much like a statue, and stared down the door. 

His girlfriend groaned and pushed herself off the couch lazily and went up to Noah. She placed her hands on the crooks of his neck and began massaging them slowly and softly.

"Calm down Noah," She whispered soothingly.

He melted into his girlfriend's touch, momentarily forgetting about the important people that were coming by later. Not only might they be his future in-laws, but they also have the power to destroy he and Marleigh's relationship.

Just as she pulled away from the now-soothed Noah, a sharp knock on the door instantly made him tense up. 

Moments after the knock, the doorbell rang and the loud, annoying sound rang through the large apartment. The original doorbell had broke about a week after they moved in so they had to replace it. Noah's suggestion was to get a loud, annoying doorbell so that they would answer the door; now he wished he could take back his statement.

Marleigh went over towards the door and unlocked it. She turned to Noah and gave him a confident smile before opening the door.

"Mom! Dad!" 

Noah smile to himself, hearing the smile in his girlfriend's words. Despite her always complaining about them, he knew that she wash happy to see them again.

"Oh Marleigh! Baby girl!" He heard her mother cooing as she wrapped her up in a large bear hug.

Her mother pulled away a few seconds later reluctantly as her father took her place. This time Marleigh was pressed tighter to her father as though he didn't want to let her go. Correction, he probably didn't want to let her go.

Marleigh stopped hugging back after about ten seconds, and only patted his back awkwardly. "Um dad? You can let go now."

Marleigh's father frowned, and let his eldest daughter go before his eyes landed on Noah. The frown deepened at the sight of him, which was enough to make Noah wish for the ground to swallow him up. 

Noticing the frown on her father's face, Marleigh tugged on her father's hand and smiled up at him, it was the look she used to give him every day. His facial expression softened inconsiderably as he smiled at his grownup daughter who would always be his little girl.

"Mom, dad. This is my boyfriend, Noah," Marleigh introduced sending Noah a reassuring smile.

Marleigh's mother stepped up and smiled at Noah. He held out his hand towards her and she surprised him by grabbing his hand and pulling him into a tight hug. He looked towards Marleigh in surprise.

'She's a hugger,' She mouthed as he nodded in understanding.

They pulled out of the hug and he smiled down at her, noticing that he towered almost a head over her.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Evans," He said politely.

"Oh don't call me that, just call me Caroline! Mrs. Evans' my mother-in-law," She said while fake gagging.