~* 27 *~

The night had turned day, as Diego watched the sunlight slowly sipping through the tiniest opening of the thick curtains drawing lines on the empty bed.

He hasn't got a bit of sleep since Ella explained about her findings from Demetrio's diaries. It was too much to gather.

She had told a lot more than Diego could remember that he made a mental note to get the diaries from her and read them once the party is over.

"I need to get clearer picture of this whole mess"

He stood from the couch, jumped on his feet a couple of times, cracked his aching neck and knuckles, Diego got ready for another hectic day.

A day of entertaining big-shot guests.

Fetching a cup of tea from the tray that's heading to his father's office, Diego gave an apologetic smile to the maid and speed up towards the garden.

The garden had its own decor ready for tonight upon Bernardo's request. Hence, it was his duty to check on it before leaving for meeting.

There he found Ella leisurely taking a walk outside the house enjoying the chilly morning with Chandra. They seemed to be closer than a regular guest and host supposed to be.

"Amma should stop getting too attached to her. Ella won't be here for long, ma." Diego's inner voice tried to give a telepathy heads up to his mother.

"Ella won't be here for long" the words lingered longer than it should causing a sudden thud within him.

Why does the mention of Ella's leaving causing him an intolerable feeling?

His orbs followed her.

As much as he ignores the signals, he couldn't resist but to adore her simplicity, her aggression, her little life secrets he is been discovering lately.

The past few months however had changed their relationship status altogether.

From bickering youngsters to arguing only when needed. That was a fair change in their relationship for him. 

Ella's gaze fell on Diego who has been watching her from the veranda. Excusing herself from Chandra, she quickly marched towards him.

"I was just about to look for you" she beamed in excitement.

"Me? Why?"

"Your mom wants me to go get her designer gown from the boutique. So, I need to.go.out!" Ella flashed a broad smile, she could at least get out of this house for that reason.

"No! You are not going out!" He replied sternly.

"Why?... I can at least go out, can't I?.... Fine, you don't have to send me alone! You can at least send the guy that you hired to follow me, right!" Ella followed Diego who payed no heed to her yells.

"Come on Diego! You can't keep me in here forever. I eventually have to go. It's been almost four days, now."

Ella was right but Diego wants her to be around him till he figures out who is actually behind all the attacks and why.

Apart from her staying with him all day, keeping her in his house seemed much safer. He couldn't deny that she can't be here long too but what else the choice.

"Well, I have changed my mind. I need you to stay here till New Year."

"What?!

No!

I can't stay in your house for that long. I have a job to do!" Ella retorted.

She couldn't understand why Diego wants her to stay here longer. Ella had told him ample of times that she is capable of protecting herself yet this.