Chapter-56

"Sumi!!  Where's everyone?" Shruti asked the 5th time.

"They're on their way. I've got some work. Wait here, I'll be back."

It's Shruti and Akshay's engagement today. All the things are arranged guests have arrived except Karan,  Sid and Kusum.

Rounding the corner I dialed Karan's no. again.

"Wait a min,  am at Sid's orphanage." Karan said with an urgency in his tone and hunged up.

Oh God.  Its getting too much.  I haven't told anyone not even Akshay and Shruti that Karan is unable to contact Kusum and Sid. 

The day Sid went to the lawyer, that was the very same day Karan met Kusum's mother at the hospital.  He went their to meet a relative with his mother and Kusum's mother was there to take some reports.  Karan told me that her mother's demeanour was furious and tense too.

Yesterday morning we talked to Sid and he said that he talked with Kusum through the maid and she's very sick.  Akshay and Shruti wanted to postpone their engagement but we made them understand and also few of their relatives had already arrived by then.

Both of them are already tense and now I can't tell them that we're  unable to reach any of them. God knows what's happening there. I hope they're fine. 

God please keep them safe..

"Mausam." I heard Neev behind me.  I looked around absentmindedly.  Don't know why I did that but on seeing him it happened and he noticed.  He took a step back.

"I am sorry Mausam.  Please don't behave like this with me,  I know it's my fault but you know I didn't mean any harm to... "

"Please. It's enough that I can't forget that day, you don't need to remind me everytime."

"Ok I won't say anything,  but you can't keep ignoring me for all your life. We are friends aftera..."

"Were.  We were friends." He had a stunned expression on his face as if he was expecting me to get gushy mushy with him.

"Tell me! What can I do to get your forgiveness,  To be your friend again."

"You have to earn it Neev.  Right now I have many things at hand."  Saying the last words I left.  I couldn't handle him anymore.

All the guest have already arrived but Akshay and Shruti are waiting for the others.  I want to tell them not to wait but then they will postpone their engagement and run to help them.  I couldn't understand what should I do?

I was trying to pass but Shruti saw me and called out so I had have to go to her.

"Sumi....  Where are they?  Have you talked with anyone?"

"Umm.  Well.. "

"Veer isn't picking up and Sid's number is not reachable.  Has Veer contact you?" Akshay said coming towards me.

"Actually...  Ummm...  Am sorry but they'll be late.  Yes!  They got late because.... Sid went to meet Kusum and... Got caught by Harry.... And... That's it. Huhh! " I inhaled sharply,  making up a story was not easy for a person who doesn't lie and also to their best friends.  My cheeks were getting hotter I knew if I waited there they'll catch my lie.  So I instantly moved to Shruti's Parents.

"Uncle Karan,  Sid and Kusum will be very late.  The time for engagement will pass by then.  Please don't let them wait any longer.  It will be of no use. " I wanted to say it with confidence but my voice trembled.

"Why do you look scared child?  Is there any problem? " Shruti's father asked me as always caressing my head.

I so wanted to tell him Yes!!! But I can't. So I kept calm.  "No uncle.  But don't let them wait."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you silent?  Where are they?" Shruti asked cum shouted. 

Her parents didn't let them wait and their engagement ceremony took place perfectly,  instead of the glances they were sending in my direction. 

After the guests left Shruti literally dragged me to her room and Akshay and Neev followed.

"Sumi...  Am asking you something..."

"Shruti... Calm down dear. You are scaring her." Akshay said and made her sit on the bed.

"Cause I know she's hiding something."

"Okay let me talk to her."  Akshay said very calmly and turned towards me.

"Mausam...  Why did you lie to us? " He asked holding me by shoulder very gently.

"I didn't want you two to cancel your engagement." I said bowing my head.

"And why do you thought we will cancel our engagement?  What has happened?"

"They aren't coming. Karan...  Couldn't contact Sid and Kusum. Last when he answered my call he was at Sid's orphanage and was bit tense."

"See....  I told you she's hiding something. How could you? " Shruti was beyond angry.  I would've thought that she's angry on me if I hadn't known her better.

She indeed is angry but on herself, cause she's thinking that she didn't help her friends.

"Last you talked when?"  Akshay asked.

"3 hours ago."

"And then? "

"He isn't picking up. Akshay....  I don't know what has happened there but...  Karan.. his voice was tense." I started fidgeting.

"Shruti am sorry, but they wouldn't have approved it if you two cancelled your engagement because of them.  Please forgive me."

Shruti turned her face away from me....  And inhaled sharply then released a deep breath.  I know this attitude she's showing off that she's angry. 

"Huhh...  Am not angry at you.  I'm ashamed that I didn't go out to look for them when you clearly lied on my face.  I'm afraid....  For Kusum and her baby.  Akshay call them na."

"Am trying.  Sid's cell is off and Karan isn't picking up."

God bless them...  I wish I could reach them..  Any how.....

Kusum,  the beloved of all,  she's left unloved by he own mother...

Such a person who only knows society.... More than her husband,  more than love,  more than her child..

How can a mother love status more than her child...

Kusum be safe.....

God keep them safe...

Kusum, Sid and their baby....

Let them be safe.