Expecto Patronum

The dying sun streams through high windows, painting your face a fierce amber-red as you stand opposite to Rogers. Ancient charts drape the walls while gleaming spheres of spun glass rotate around one another silently. Rogers paces before a large chest.

"You're sure about this, ______? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level."

"If Stark can fight the Dementors, I need to know how too." You say, steely.

He studies you, as if conflicted, then decides.

"Very well. The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever hear of it?"

You shake your head.

"A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The Dementor feeds on it instead of them."

Just then, the trunk rattles violently. As your eyes wander, Rogers snaps his fingers, and brings your attention back.

"But in order for it to work, you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful."

You think a bit. Then, nod.

"Got something? Good. Let it fill you up. Lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum. Without your wand..." Rogers says.

"Expecto Patronum..." you repeat.

"Right then. Shall we?"

You nod, and raise your wand. Rogers, watching closely, reaches over, and grips the lid of the chest...

"Concentrate, ______. Concentrate..."

As Rogers flings open the case, you open your eyes. In the sun's blood-light the Dementor looks particularly horrific.

Your content and concentration flutter away,
"Expecto... Patronum..." you mutter.

The torches on the wall flicker as a chill breeze fills the chamber. A scream echos distantly. Your hands tremble, and you eyes begin to roll up...

"Expecto... Expecto..."

"Here!" Rogers yells.

CRACK! The Dementor mutates into a silvery white orb.

"Riddikulus!" Rogers says.

He flicks his wand, and sends the orb back into the
packing case. You stand blinking. Dazed.

Rogers fishes a chocolate frog from his pocket and presses it into your trembling hand.

"Eat, Quickly."

You study the frog.  Then take a bite and begin to recover.

"That's one nasty Dementor." You sigh.

"Boggart, _____. The real thing would be much, much worse. Just out of interest, what were you
thinking of? What memory did you choose?" Rogers asks.

"Well, The first time I rode a broom." You answer.

"That's not good enough, _____. Not nearly." Rogers responds.

You glance toward the window, at the bloody sun.

"I guess...there's another. It's not happy exactly. I mean, it is. It's the happiest I've ever felt. But it's... complicated."

"Is it strong?"

You look up into Rogers eyes. Feeling very emotional, and nod.

"Then let's try it"