Chapter Nineteen✨Cat-Man

I don't own anything except any original/own characters and any original plot.

Chapter 19 - Cat-Man

I entered the cathedral a few minutes before Steve

I entered the cathedral a few minutes before Steve. He was one of the few chosen to bring in Peggy's casket. After we received the message, we flew out and booked a hotel. Steve had been really quiet. I understood, and I tried to support him, but seeing him in so much pain hurt me as well.

While I was taking my seat towards the front, I locked eyes with Tony. He was in the farthest back corner. He was obviously trying to be discreet, dressed in an all black suit. I gave him a small nod. He nodded back. We could put aside the tension between us for a few moments.

Once I was settled, another person sat down right next to me. I glanced up at them, sighing with a shake of my head when I saw who it was.

"So this is what it takes for you to show up, huh Fury? Can't even show your face with the Accords going on?"

"She was a founding member of the biggest thing in my life, even if it was corrupt," Fury said quietly, "I'm sorry the Accords are so biased against you. I'm trying to pull some strings but it's difficult right now. You know how the world can be."

"It's alright. I now know what other minorities on Earth feel like. I want to retire, but Steve wants to go against it entirely."

"A lovers quarrel?"

"Not really, I'll stay with him no matter what happens. I'm just afraid that if he make us a target, we might have to, um, well we might have to leave."

The choir off to the side began singing. Fury and I silenced ourselves. The casketbarrers slowly entered the church. I watched Steve closely. He had been crying recently. After the casket was set down up front, Steve slid into the aisle next to me, barely giving Fury a second glance. I grabbed his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

The service was quick and quaint, highlighting the shining moments in Peggy's life. Although in my eyes, her entire life was a highlight in Earth's history. Once the priest was finished, he invited Sharon up to say a few words.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD, but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photo in her office, standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. I asked her how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if they're telling you that something wrong is right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, and say 'No, you move.'"

After Sharon's speech, the rest of the service went quite fast. There was a speech or two from other family members, and then the priest directed everyone to a seperate room in the church where lunch would be served. Once that announcement was made, everyone slowly filed out. There were a few stragglers, who stood by her casket and said a prayer before leaving.