Age 12: A Different Team

Just when she thought waking up in the early hours of the morning for work was a thing of the past, Asuka trudged up the stairs to the Hokage's office for her latest assignment at seven am. There was no doubting she liked the money; there was nothing wrong with getting paid. But sometimes, on a lazy day, she expected to get to sleep in at least a little bit.

She sighed, realizing there was no use complaining about it, especially where Lady Tsunade was concerned. "Well let's see what this is about," she muttered as she knocked on the door.

"Enter," the Hokage's voice called through the door. Asuka grabbed the knob and shoved the door in, stepping into the bright, round room.

Lady Tsunade was at her desk, with Rei and her teammate, Tanaka Shin standing by. Shin had his arms crossed and a none-too happy look about things on his face, and Rei looked like the epitome of tired of him. Lady Tsunade's hands had just come away from her forehead as soon as Asuka entered the room with an arched eyebrow.

She was surprised that Kyo wasn't there; or Jun, for that matter. Maybe they were on the way?

"Did I intrude on something?" Asuka asked.

"Brought something to an end, hopefully," Rei sighed, flicking her gaze at Shin before returning it to her.

Asuka glanced at the only male in the room, whose silver eyes pouted at the floor. "What's got his panties in a bunch?" Asuka asked, jerking her thumb at Shin.

Lady Tsunade opened her mouth to explain. "It's his own fault. Like Jun, he doesn't know when he should sit down and rest on his days off, so he's a bit cranky this morning."

Shin sighed, flicking his hand to dismiss her notion. Lady Tsunade narrowed her eyes at him. Shin upheld his attitude.

"So, what's this about?" Asuka asked, really having little desire to deal with Shin's attitude herself. "You summoned me, Lady Hokage?"

"Yes," Tsunade said, looking at her. "I need you three to rendezvous with a jonin team out doing some recon on a possible problem village," she explained.

Asuka nodded once. "Hai," she agreed. "I'll tell Jun and Kyo when they get here."

Lady Tsunade shook her head as she said, "Those two won't be joining you on this mission, Asuka. You're going with Rei and Shin, as soon as he drops the attitude."

Asuka's eyes crinkled in her confusion. "I'm going on a mission without Jun and Kyo?" she asked.

"That's what I said," Lady Tsunade answered with a nod. "Like I mentioned earlier, Jun doesn't know how to sit down. So I've assigned Kyo as something of a babysitter to keep Jun from doing any work today. I'm sure you've all noticed Jun's change in mannerisms as of late."

Asuka did notice, especially after the invasion and Jun believing he'd lost his entire family. He started working harder during reconstruction and making sure everyone in the village was alright; she was certain that over ninety percent knew his name. The mention of Jun working himself like a dog made Shin's attitude change; he was no longer pouting, but staring sadly at the ground.

It was good that Jun was so diligent and hard-working, but he needed a break every once and a while. If he was with Kyo, Asuka was certain that Jun would be rested and well by the middle of tomorrow.

"Besides," the Hokage said, pulling Asuka out of her thoughts, "it's good to work with other teams now that you're Chunnin level. You've got to show that excellent teamwork Gen-sensei has been drilling into you to others besides your genin team."