Age 7: A Team

Asuka remembered her first day in Daichi-sensei’s class. The first half, she had been by herself, getting strange looks from her new classmates, wondering why a kid was in their class.

When lunch came around, Asuka had been on the playground when a scuffle had been going on behind her. Later, she realized it was Jun and Kyo fighting again, but she’d never know what it was that Jun did to make Kyo run away from him.

And smack into her.

The moment she’d gotten up, she’d shouted, “Watch where your ugly face is going!” She had glared at Kyo at that moment, and Kyo had glared back at her.

“Maybe you shouldn’t stand in the middle of the walkway like an idiot,” Kyo had spat back.

“Back off, Kyo,” Rei had said, coming up beside Asuka and placing a hand on her hair. “You’ve got my respect, girlie. I’m the only one who’s ever called Kyo ugly.”

And Asuka and Rei had been friends ever since. The two girls now sat in the back of the classroom, both waiting passionately for their sensei to come in and give them their teams. They both hoped and wished that they could be on a team together.

Daichi looked around the room before reading the first team. “Team Three: Arai Jun, Suzuki Kyo and Sarutobi Asuka.” Daichi-Sensei called out.

Asuka grunted a little. Kyo and Jun were on her team. Great. As much as Asuka fought with Kyo, she fought with Jun, too, though she liked him.

“I’m with the brat and the moron,” Kyo stated, dropping his head into his hand.

Asuka glared at the back of his head. She said, “Don’t push it Kyo.”

Jun shot to his feet and stormed over to Kyo’s desk. He’d grabbed him by his scarf and pulled him out his seat with hardly any effort. “What the fuck did you call me, you fucking shit?” he growled into Kyo’s face.

Kyo scowled. “A moron you idiot,” then he smirked. “Or can’t you hear with those ear covers on?”

“MY MOTHER GAVE THESE TO ME YOU BITCH,” Jun shouted, cocking his fist back.

“So you’re still a momma’s boy,” Kyo continued. “Once a momma’s boy, always a momma’s boy.”

“Jun, put that fist down,” Daichi-sensei ordered. Jun didn’t move. “Jun, I mean it! Put it down, and step back.”

Asuka turned to Rei. “How did I get stuck with these two?” Rei shrugged and patted her back.

Jun clicked his tongue angrily, glaring at Daichi-sensei. “Why am I on the same team as baldie?”

Eyes widening, Kyo shoved Jun off him. Everyone got up and started taking out money, putting bets on either Jun or Kyo. “What did you call me, you moron?!”

Jun slammed his forehead into Kyo, who met him full on. “I called you a FUCKING baldie—STOP GODDAMN CALLING ME A FUCKING MORON!”

“No, you moron,” Kyo spat in his face.

Jun grabbed Kyo by his scarf again. “FUCK YOU, KYO! GO BALD!”

Kyo shouted back, “I hope a mission kills you!”

Asuka had to do something. The mission would have no one to kill if they started fighting now. “Jun, I'm on your team!” she shouted, thinking of the first thing she thought.

Jun released Kyo and looked brightly at Asuka. He raised his hand in the air. “HIGH FIVE!”

Kyo put his hand on his forehead, grinding his teeth together as he sat back down. “I hate the both of you,” he grumbled.